Thursday, July 6, 2023

Pork and Tofu Stir Fry

I made this yesterday just so that we would have something to eat for dinner instead of leftovers (again), and I wouldn't feel guilty about being such a crappy wife/mother.

The recipe calls for leeks, but who has leeks in their 'fridge when they're trying to not be a crappy wife/mother?  So I put in green onions and carrots instead.  Close enough.  

The recipe is from the Food & Wine site.

I used a full 16 oz tub of tofu instead of a half tub and rice vinegar instead of sherry vinegar.  I used chili/garlic paste instead of crushed red pepper (not my favorite green-cover one because cannot find that one in stores anymore).  I also added a spoonful of cornstarch to the chicken broth for thickening.  

Guess what happened.  It came out super ono!  ðŸ˜‚ 😂 😂

Tip: I had thin-sliced pork in the freezer hoping Wendell would make pork cutlet again, but noooooo.  So I took it out of the freezer and cut it into thin pieces when it was still half frozen.  Was easy to slice that way.

IMG_3333

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil

  • 1 pound pork loin, cut into 1 1/2-by-1/4-inch strips

  • Salt and freshly ground pepper

  • 3 garlic cloves, minced

  • Large pinch of crushed red pepper

  • 1 large leek—halved and cut into 1-inch pieces

  • 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth

  • 1/2 pound firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes

  • 1/4 cup hoisin sauce

  • 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar

  • 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil

Directions

  1. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil. Add the pork, season with salt and pepper and stir-fry over high heat until cooked, 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining vegetable oil to the skillet. Add the garlic and crushed pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the leek and 1/4 cup of the stock, cover and cook until the leek is softened, 2 minutes. Add the remaining 3/4 cup of stock and bring to a simmer. Add the tofu, then stir in the pork, hoisin, vinegar and sesame oil. Transfer to bowls and serve.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

kinda cracks me up when non-asian cookbooks make asian recipes. Cloves??? Leeks??? Sherry vinegar??? Ahahaha
v

K and S said...

looks ono!

Honolulu Aunty said...

There is something about pork that makes dishes so ono and easy. I had to laugh at all your substitutions. Really - who does have leeks? Maybe I'll grow some. Maybe.

jalna said...

V, LOL.

Kat, thanks.

Aunty, I agree . . . pork frying with some garlic smells so ono. That would be so cool to have leeks growing in your garden. I bought some Maui Onion seeds from City Mill. They are the tiniest, tiniest seeds. I planted them about a month or so ago, and the stalks that grew are thread thin and so frail still . . .

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!

Izsmom

Susan said...

I’ve noticed all your first time creations are really good! Keep it up!

jalna said...

Susan, thanks!

jalna said...

Izsmom, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Made this the other night. My family loved it. Nice to have a new dish, thank you.
Bonny OGG

jalna said...

Bonny, that's awesome!