Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Makanai Toast

This was inspired by an episode of Makanai on Netflix (thanks for the tip Honolulu Aunty).  

Actually, Cleta had given me some toast and after they were all gone, I was craving more.  So I cut up a couple pieces of bread and made a small batch in the toaster oven.

IMG_4564

Bake at 250 degrees for about 5 to 7 minutes, turning once.

Remove from oven, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.

Return to oven and bake at 250 degrees for another 5 to 7 minutes, turning once.  

(some of my pieces were still a bit soft, so I left them in the oven for a little longer after turning it off)

Note:  Mine wasn't as good as Cleta's.  She said that she makes a paste of softened butter and sugar and smears it on before baking.  I going try her way next time.

Another note:  N, that's your  mom's teacup.  It's so pretty.  I researched the markings on the bottom of the cup.  It's from Kozan Gama (Kozan kiln) in Ureshino, Saga, Japan, and maybe made by the grandson of the founder, Tatsuro Ono, who likes working with gold decorations using a technique called "Kinrande".  Thank you for passing it on to me.  I cherish it.  ❤️

10 comments:

K and S said...

pretty cup!

Honolulu Aunty said...

Looks crispy and delish! I'm gonna try because I always end up tossing the few pieces of bread in a loaf. Such a waste! Now it won't be.

Anonymous said...

J, toast sounds heavenly. As for the tea cup, absolutely no memory of it.Or giving it to you. Makes sense though since I am not a tea drinker. Glad you make use of it though. -N

Anonymous said...

Looks good. I love that show.


Izsmom

jalna said...

Kat, so pretty!

Aunty, now I'm saving the crusts that I usually cut off when making sandwiches.

N, you gave me a Kutani tea set including tea pot, as well as chawan bowls.

Izsmom, such a cute show, yah.

Anonymous said...

oooh, my mom used to make this except with cinnamon too. And, I used to love the one from Makiki Bakery...broke your teeth, was so hard!
I going try make!
v

Chet Colson said...

Ho.....I would sprinkle some cinnamon powder on it

jalna said...

V, it was popular way back in the day, yah!

Chet, yummmm!

Anonymous said...

I just made small batch. My toaster oven must be junk cuz took twice as long bit still super ono. I did put cinnamon too
V

jalna said...

V, so nostalgic, yah!