Saturday, February 15, 2020

Palace Saimin


I mentioned to Wendell that I wouldn't mind eating at Palace Saimin and so . . . we went! Wendell is cool like that sometimes.

IMG_3743

Cute yah. Parking sucks, but Wendell reversed his huge truck into the last remaining stall pretty easily.
IMG_3745

It was noon on a weekday, and we had to wait for a seat. I actually had to race a girl so that I could beat her to the door. I came in first, the girl second and Wendell third. 

And it kept filling up . . . people left . . . and people came.
IMG_3731

I ordered a large won ton min. Yup . . . a LARGE. It turned out to be way larger than Sekiya's Large so I wasn't able to finish it, but I did do some damage. The famous BBQ stick was ono but too chunky for my liking.
IMG_3740

All in all, it was well worth visiting Palace Saimin at least for the nostalgia. There was a sign saying that they've been around for 70 years!  But given the parking situation and the slight distance from my house, I'm sticking to Sekiya's. 

12 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

I never went to Palace Saimin but I heard it was good. When you do takeout they separate the broth from the noodles and other stuff.

We used to go to the one across the street next to Diner's. Used to be Old Saimin House, then it became New Old Saimin House, and then back again. Not sure what it is now. My husband's cousin's husband's aunty folks used to run it. SO ono and SO cheap! But then they got out of the business and his cousin's side was out and maybe the other side of the aunty took over. Still ono but kinda expensive. Love those noodles. Good barbeque sticks. Yummy to dip noodles in hot mustard and shoyu.

I so hungry now!

Cloudia said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!even better than Zip Min!

Anonymous said...

I can’t remember the last time I went to Palace Saimin, the parking is what deters me. Looks onolicious.

Izsmom

K and S said...

never eaten here before but it looks ono!

Erick said...

Wow, looks so ono and really cheap.

jalna said...

Aunty, my dad used to take us waaaay back in the day to Palace Saimin, so it's very nostalgic for me. I kinda remember going to Old Saimin House when I was in my early 20's

Cloudia, LOL, for sure.

Izsmom, yup, that parking is not for drivers l like me.

Kat, very old school saimin there.

Erick, go try!

Anonymous said...

j: my mom lived nearby once and she found out the secret of their dashi: shrimp shells.-N

jalna said...

N, ho!! Thanks for the tip!

Kay said...

Gosh! I’ve never been there, but it looks wonderful. I used to go to Sekiyas all the time when I was in college. Now I’m too far.

Anonymous said...

have you been reading the papers past few days about several customers robbing them. Sad part is they are so fed up with this going on, they are thinking of closing. So sad.
v

Leslie's pics said...

hahhaha so funny, i can just picture you racing the girl to the door. You should've given her a shoulder bump on the way in :-D

jalna said...

Kay, I just love Sekiya's.

V, I heard!! That IS so sad.

Les, hahaahahaha, I made sure I was way ahead of her.