Saturday, December 10, 2016

Wendell's Fruitcake


I kinda ran short on time and don't have the next Japan post done yet. Luckily, I have a bunch of Wendell's recipes on hand so here's one of them. 

This recipe is from a Betty Shimabukuro By Request article and according to the article it is originally from Dee Tyau.  You can find it here.  

At the end of the recipe it says that in order to season the fruitcake, you need to wrap it in a brandy-soaked cloth and refrigerate for a month. I guess that's how real fruitcakes are made, but I think no need. It was good without doing the brandy-soak thing.

IMG_6465


Great Granny’s Delicious Fruitcake 
  • 4 cups flour 
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 
  • 1 cup butter or margarine, softened 
  • 2 cups light brown sugar, packed 
  • 1 cup white sugar 
  • 4 large eggs 
  • 1 cup sour cream 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 2 tablespoons brandy (or other liquor such as whiskey) 
  • 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts 
  • 1-1/2 cups golden raisins
  • 2 cups diced mixed candied fruits (or the same amount of dried fruit)

Heat oven to 275 degrees. Grease two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans, then line pans with baking parchment and grease the paper. (Or use eight 5-by-3-inch pans.)
Combine flour, salt and spices.

In a mixing bowl cream butter with sugars until fluffy. Add eggs, beating well after each addition. Blend in sour cream. Dissolve baking soda in brandy and add. Gradually beat in flour mixture until smooth. Fold in nuts, raisins and candied fruits.

Divide batter among baking pans. Bake 2 hours (1 hour, 45 minutes for small pans) or until cakes are golden and a pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let stand 20 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.

To season: Soak clean cloth in brandy (or another liquor). Wrap cakes in cloth, then cover with foil. Refrigerate at least 1 month. To give as gifts, remove cloth and wrap in fresh foil.

10 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

Fruitcake is not one of my favorites, though maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance. My absolute favorite is glazed donuts, yum yum yum, followed by chocolate chip cookies, yum yum.

jalna said...

It's not one of my favorites too, Aunty, but I like this one.

Anonymous said...

I never acquired the taste for fruit cake, but the one cake with fruits in it that I enjoyed was Friendship Cake. It was really popular in the early 1990s. You used a fruit starter made with canned fruit cocktail and I think maraschino cherries. You would add it to a box cake mix. It was really moist and the fruits had a touch of natural alcohol because it was fermented. I wonder if people still make it?

Izsmom

Kay said...

I don't much care for fruitcake, but Art and his sister LOVE them. Really, really LOVE them. I'm going to have to think about trying this... just for the heck of it. Thanks so much!

jalna said...

That sounds so interesting, Izsmom. I got a starter a long time ago, but it was for the dough, not the fruits.

Kay, Wendell made it again and is going to give away. I hope you get to try it.

Kay said...

I'm really nervous about this. Whenever I've tried recipes from online, it's never quite as good as I hoped. I'm not a great cook or baker. However, I got the candied fruits yesterday and the sour cream so I'll give it a shot. Keeping my fingers crossed.

jalna said...

Good luck, Kay!!!

My Journey To Mindfulness said...

I read Kay's blog
and this one bakes a lot
going to try this fruit cake
Love the smaller loaves
as I live alone
but when family or friends
come by
always have something handy to serve..
Thank you for the recipe..

jalna said...

You're very welcome My Journey. Hope you like it.

Kay said...

I made it again, Jalna and everybody is loving it. Please give Wendell a hug for us.