Friday, December 9, 2016

Japan - Day 10 - Iimoriyama Hill

Saturday, October 22, 2016  Aizu-Wakamatsu, Fukushima

Iimoriyama is the location of the Byakkotai tragedy that occurred during the Boshin War (1868-1869) between the old Tokugawa government and the new Meiji government. It  is the final resting place of a group of young Aizu soldiers, aged 16 and 17, in a unit called the Byakkotai (White Tiger Corps) who committed seppuku when they saw their castle engulfed in flames.

Monuments were located up a mountain, accessible by escalator or stairs. 
DSC01866a

All chose to ride the escalator . . . 
DSC01879a

except one person.
DSC01973a

This monument was donated by the government of Rome.
DSC01882a

DSC01908a

DSC01884a

This monument was built in remembrance of the 230 women and children of the Aizu clan who died in the Boshin War. 
DSC01886a

DSC01889a

DSC01896a

DSC01891a

DSC01898a

DSC01900a

DSC01905a

DSC01930a

DSC01931a

DSC01950a

DSC01955a

Thank you, Allen, for pointing out this photo op to me. 
DSC01964a






DSC01972a

DSC01966a

Lunch was ramen and gyoza at a rest stop. 
DSC01996a

DSC01998a

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember this place. It is so sad about the young boys who committed seppuku, thinking the castle was burning therefore their lord and families were probably dead, however in reality, it was the town surrounding the castle that was burning. Only one boy survived and the story goes he was very bitter that he did not die but he was told he lived so he could preserve their story. He lived until age 75 or so and requested to be buried with his his comrades. I don't know if you went to see this certain section on the hill, you kinda had to go through this narrow path and then you get to an area where there is a cemetery and you have a wide view of the town and Tsuruga Castle, they say that this is where the boys saw the castle burning. My grandparents passed the story down to my mom who in turned passed it down to my brother and I and I have tried to instill it in my boys. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos.

Izsmom

K and S said...

such amazing places!

Honolulu Aunty said...

So funny, everyone took the escalator - except for one person! Your family is a hoot!

Susan said...

Sad, tranquil place. Beautiful pictures as usual. Sweetie walked the stairs?! Good heart exercise!

jalna said...

I did get to see that view of the town and the castle, Izsmom! It's great that the story continues on in your family.

I agree, Kat.

Aunty, I can't believe she walked it.

It was so beautiful there, Susan.

Leslie's pics said...

Go Sweetie!!! So pretty over there!!!

Kay said...

I'm just loving your photos, Jalna. I hadn't heard about this place. I'll have to ask mom about it. She's probably told me about it and I've just forgotten.

Kay said...

Ummm... I take it all back. Art says of course he knows all about it. My mother and aunt told us all about it apparently and we went to another memorial for those young men. Sheesh! Hoo boy!

Chet Colson said...

the futility of war. Pretty somber place. Walking the stairs, good way to burn off the calories of breakfast.

jalna said...

I don't blame you for not remember, Kay. You do travel a lot and have been to many places.

So true, Chet . . . on both counts.

Nippon Nin said...

Nice pics! I think I read about Byakkotai a long time ago. I didn't know their resting place is here. Fascinating...