Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Beading


You know how I love marbles?  I love glass beads also.  I've always wanted to get into making bracelets with beads, but never did because the beads are just so expensive.

But thanks to swap meeting shopping I've accumulated enough beads to try my hand at it. My sister Geri taught me a few tricks and I also went online to see what I could learn.
IMG_3272

At $1 a bracelet at the swap meet bead collecting can actually be quite a bargain. You can take apart the bracelet and then make your own creations. Geri found this one.  Cute yah!
IMG_3303

She found this one too.
IMG_3306

IMG_3309

IMG_3313

IMG_3315

The top one here was actually $8, but I loved the look, so I broke down and bought it.  The elastic on these were loose and worn, so I replaced them. 
IMG_3299

I used this.  Bought it at Ben Franklin.
IMG_3293

I've used this one too when repairing other bracelets. An important thing to know when you're tying your final knot: left side over, right side over. Then your knot won't slip.
IMG_3296

I bought this container of beads for $5. The girl selling them wanted $10 but reluctantly agreed to sell it to me for $5 after I asked. I felt kinda bad after I got home and looked at them, 'cause I realized that they were actually probably worth way more than $10.
IMG_3291

Isn't this bead pretty?  I think it's vintage Japanese.  I bought a bunch of um at the swap meet awhile back.  I decided to use them for my first attempt at a bracelet.
IMG_3278

I used these pins.
IMG_3281

And with pliers made a loop on top.
IMG_3282

I did the same thing for each bead and embellishment which I then attached to a chain. I got the star-face charm from Ben Franklin, by the way.

When I tried the bracelet on for the first time, I realized that some of the wires were poking out and would scratch me.  So I had to go through each one and make sure to squoosh the wire tight. I already gave this bracelet to coworker Noreen. 

Do you think you might want one?  I'll probably be making a few more.  Maybe I'll have a giveaway. We'll see.
IMG_3331

9 comments:

Dd said...

oooo....bracelet making day perhaps ?? I love love love those pearl beads in the case ;o}

Kalin's Mommy said...

Wow, so pretty!

Erick said...

Very nice! The green ladybugs are so cute.

jalna said...

Oooh ya Didi. Good idea!

Thanks Mich!

Hahaha. Thanks Erick.

Honolulu Aunty said...

Very nice!! I now collect marbles because of your earlier posts and pictures and I have always collected beads.

Your bracelet looks great! Fun and pretty. And you score great deals!

:) josefina :) said...

very nice! You are so creative, Jalna! I love Giveaways! ;)

Nippon Nin said...

Fabulous! I just wanted you to know I looove bracelet!

Have a Fun and Happy 4th of July!

K and S said...

pretty! I gotta get back my beading mojo.

jalna said...

LOL Honolulu Aunty. So funny that you collecting marbles now. They're so pretty yah!

Thanks Jos!

Awww . . . thanks Akemi.

Hey Kat. I remember that you had a crafting blog too. I know . . . sometimes hard to get that mojo back. And mine are usually so short lived.