Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Manju with Pineapple Filling


Inspired by Big Island Candies' Pineapple Manju, I decided to try and make my own even though I never made a manju before in my life. I ended up with only about 10 decent pieces, of all shapes and sizes, some with the filling oozing out, but overall with a pretty ono taste.

IMG_6698

I bought this from Foodland for about $3.50.
IMG_6658

First time using this Magic Bullet, and OMG talk about panic. I didn't know you could just pulse the thing. After cutting up my pineapple into smaller pieces and putting half into the container, I locked it into place. At first it just whirred and wasn't doing anything. So I shook the bloody thing to death until the pieces finally started swirling around. But then it started working too good and liquefied them. Oi vay, what a way to start. Luckily, I still had the other half of the pineapple, so I was more careful with the second batch.
IMG_6661

I put my "pulp" on the stove to reduce the liquid. I added a few shakes of cinnamon . . .
IMG_6667

and 3 tablespoons of sugar. I think maybe coulda used more sugar.
IMG_6670

I cooked it until it looked like this.
IMG_6675

I decided it still looked a little too watery so I strained it in our 50-year-old strainer pressing out the liquid with a spoon. IMG_6679

I ended up with only a small dish of filling.

IMG_6681

The dough gave me more problems. I wanted a shortbread kinda crust so I found a recipe and halved it thinking that since I didn't have that much filling, I didn't need too much dough. I used 1 block of butter, 1/4 c. sugar and 1 1/4 c. flour. It came out soooo crumbly, I had to grab a handful and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze it until it would hold together and I could pat out a flattened circle. No pictures of the process 'cause I was too busy cussing.
IMG_6684

Pinching the edges together caused cracks to form so this is the best I could do. I ended up with crusts thicker than I wanted and hence, less pieces. I actually ended up throwing away some of the filling. I was supposed to brush the top with an egg wash, but forget that. I wasn't about to brush nothing with no egg wash.
IMG_6690

All in all though, I was happy with the end result. It tasted good. I'm gonna try again. I think with canned pineapple next time. I have a question though . . . does anyone know how to cut the acidity of the pineapple?
IMG_6712

10 comments:

K and S said...

looks ono!

jalna said...

Kat, it was not bad!

Betty Townsend said...

They look good...you're a brave one to even try making them. I'd be like I'm just going to buy some. hahahaha!!

Dd said...

Brown sugar......or honey. U SO FUNNY !!! Let me know, if you want me to tweak recipe

Anonymous said...

I used this recipe for Chinese New Years last year. I thought I had made plenty but people were gobbling them up with no shame!

http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-pineapple-tarts/

If you do an online search for pineapple tarts you will get a ton of hits for recipes as well as pictures.

And you say you can't bake!?

Winnie

SW said...

looks yummy.. is that the filling oozing out before baking in that shot w/ the rows of manju? Hope you saved some of that extra liquid pineapple juice.. it looks good too..

jalna said...

Hahaha Betty. I wish Big Island Candies was nearby. I would buy a bunch, but I wonder . . . they're usually kinda expensive.

Thanks Didi! I going try Winnie's recipe below. Looks good, and I think I can handle it.

Thanks Winnie!

Yeah Shun Wah. I couldn't close up that piece, so I just left it open. Hahaha. I didn't even think to save the pineapple juice. Ho da waste.

Erick said...

Looks ono! Can I try one?

:) josefina :) said...

haha! You so funny! I was cracking up at the "I wasn't about to brush nothing with no egg wash."

Looks good, despite the process!

jalna said...

Erick, I'll save you a piece or two from my next batch.

Jos, I actually was kinda cracking up myself at the fiasco.