Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Didi's Kankanen Suman


Didi's kankanen was a hit on New Year's Day. Wendell's not a big sweet eater but he loved it too. Didi e-mailed me her recipe.

IMG_9406a

I got the original recipe from my friend's mother, but on Christmas Eve, at Glenn's uncle's house in Makakilo, a neighbor brought a similar dish over....and it was so ono and different because of the topping, so I kinda tweaked the original recipe:


5 c. glutinous rice
5 c. water
1 box dark brown sugar
1-12 oz bag frozen coconut milk, thawed
1 c. shredded flaked coconut, toasted

1 - Cook glutinous rice and water in rice cooker.
2 - In a saucepan, combine brown sugar and coconut milk, stirring until sugar dissolves completely. Bring to a rapid boil, boil 5 minutes. Gotta stir stir stir, so no boil over.
3 - Mix 3/4 c. of the brown sugar/coconut milk mixture with the coconut flakes for topping. Set aside.
4 - Add the brown sugar/coconut milk mixture (No. 2) to the rice.
5 - Transfer into a 13x9 inch pan.
6 - Top with the coconut flake mixture (No. 3).
7 - Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
8 - Transfer pan to top rack, broil 5 minutes

13 comments:

Betty Townsend said...

This looks fantastic...I don't think I've ever heard of it before.

jalna said...

Betty, I think it's a Filipino dessert.

K and S said...

sounds ono!

jalna said...

Kat, it was hard to stay away from. I would take 1/2 a piece and then go back right away for the other 1/2.

:) josefina :) said...

mmm..that looks so good! I didn't realize how simple it was to make. I wanna make it now!

jalna said...

I know what you mean Jos . . . danger, danger, danger!

Dd said...

He there, the recipe directions is not in order #3 should be #2. You cook the brown sugar and coconut milk first. And then take 3/4 c and mix with coconut flakes...

jalna said...

Hah? Okay, I'll fix the recipe.

Yosh808 said...

This looks good! I'm going to have to try make this!!

jalna said...

Bring some for me if you do, Yosh!

:) josefina :) said...

Tried to make some, but my rice didn't steam very well (in rice cooker). Do I need to soak the rice first? I also had to cut the recipe b/c I only had 1 3/4 mochi rice. The taste was good, tho!

jalna said...

Hey Jos, I'll e-mail Didi about soaking the rice and ask her to post her answer here. Glad it tasted good!

Dd said...

Josefina,
I HAVE seen bibingka recipes that call for the rice to b soaked first, but I do not soak the rice and have never had a problem ? Does your cooker have a setting on it ?