Saturday, March 16, 2024

Corned Beef Hash Patties


I got an email from Foodland with a link to this recipe.  Corned beef hash patties somehow slipped off my what-to-make-for-dinner list, and I was happy for the reminder.

I like this version.  It's simple and the addition of flour makes the patties easy to handle.  I'll probably use this recipe from now on.  

For "2 ounces" of green onion, I used 2 stalks, for "3 ounces" of flour I used 1/3 cup, and for "5 ounces" small potato I just used a small potato 😁.  Also, I microwaved the potato for around 5 minutes, cooled it for a little bit and then skinned and diced it.

Mine came out to 11 small-ish patties.

IMG_6663

 

  • 1 can Libby's Corned Beef
  • 1 Egg
  • 2 ounces Green onion, sliced
  • 3 ounces All-purpose flour
  • 5 ounces Small potato, diced

INSTRUCTIONS 

  • Slice green onions and dice the potato.
  • Steam diced potatoes for 10 minutes and set aside to cool.
  • In a medium sized bowl, combine corned beef, egg, all-purpose flour, green onion, and potatoes. Mix well until everything is incorporated.
  • Portion your mix into seven balls, about 3 ounces each.
  • Heat a large pan.
  • Place hash balls into the heated pan and press down to form the patty shape.
  • Sear for 2 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
  • Serve with your preferred egg.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omigosh, yours looks so onolicious. When I make mines always falls apart. LOL


Izsmom

Chet Colson said...

Now got to put a egg on top with a touch of tobacco, ketchup and rice....yum

Anonymous said...

J, I always had problems with it crumbling apart when frying. Someone told me to dip it into panko to coat it....but it still fell apart so I make skillet size patty instead. :( I do a shortcut now, use Mary's can corn beef and add diced can potatoes and it tastes OK and it's fast. Mary's tastes bad by itself but with the diced potatoes, not bad. -N

Honolulu Aunty said...

I saw that recipe and figured it would make a good patty. Love it with ketchup and rice. Yum!

K and S said...

looks ono!

Uncleboy said...

Could you prep the patties the night before you fry em?

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jalna! Long time reader/lurker here. I’m finally revisiting Oahu after many, many years. Would love if you would do a summary of restaurants and delis that you guys like to go to in Honolulu and vicinity? Local places with local food? Thank you in advance!

Caroline in San Francisco

jalna said...

Izsmom, I used to have a problem with it being too soft to handle. That's why I liked adding in the flour.

Chet, I did add a fried egg on mine!

N, I like that panko idea. I'll try that next time!

Aunty, me too!! Love with ketchup and rice!

Kat, good recipe!

Uncleboy, that's exactly what I did. I made it a day ahead and formed into balls and put in 'fridge. Next day, I flattened in my hands and then fried.


Hi Caroline! Ever since covid I haven't really gone out to eat too much, so my list is probably lacking the newer, more recent popular places. However, my favorite place is Sekiya's in Kaimuki. I love their saimin. For Chinese food we like Duk Kee, also in Kaimuki. We've liked burgers since kid time from W & M Bar B-Q Burgers. I like the ramen from Goma Tei. When Kat from Japan came for a visit, my cousin V treated us to lunch at Nami Kaze. That was really good. Nico's Pier 38 is near Nami Kaze and that one is popular too. For Thai food I like Bangkok Chef. Loco Moco Drive Inn, Liliha Bakery and The Alley Restaurant have a nice local mix. Kahai Street Kitchen is a good one. You might find Diamond Head Market & Grill interesting. Make sure you get a few cream cheese scones from there. I like the shave ice from Waiola Shave Ice. Leonard's Bakery seems to be really popular with the Japanese tourists. It's always crowded there. Mei Sum Chinese Dim Sum is good. I love the filipino food from Elena's. You can get Hawaiian food from Helena's, but I haven't been there in a really long time. Gyotaku has good Japanese food. That's all I can think of off hand. Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Jalna, thank you so much for the list of your favorite local restaurants! We will endeavor to go to all of them! Thank you again for your time and generosity. It’s always best to have local tips.

Caroline in San Francisco

jalna said...

Caroline, you're so welcome!!

DNakamaru said...

Hoooo!!!! Looks sooo ono!!!!

jalna said...

Dean, and so easy to make!!