Monday, March 18, 2024

Brain Health

Honolulu Aunty's recent blog post talks about the four things that your brain needs to thrive.  I thought it was so interesting.  I watched it three times and took notes.  I know that my brain has slowed down and isn't as sharp as it used to be.

In short, your brain needs:

1.  Clear vessels
2.  Omega 3 fats (for neuron tentacles to wrap around)
3.  Exercise
4.  Challenge

According to brain surgeon Dr. Rahul Jandial, the fourth and most important thing our brain needs is to be challenged.  He says that thinking is the ultimate cultivator of the mind and prevents it from becoming dormant. 

So now I'm gonna try playing my kalimba again.  My eye/hand/brain coordination totally sucked at it even though I practiced and practiced.  I eventually lost interest.

But now my intention is not necessarily to get good at it but to challenge my brain trying.  Well, we'll see how it goes anyway . . . 

IMG_6672

8 comments:

Phyllis said...

Did you know that my dad -- at 99 - practices piano (reading music) about two hours a day? I think that's challenging.

Honolulu Aunty said...

Hiya Jalna, thanks for the heads up! For me, the last 2 are easy - well the exercise part is gardening and doing 5 Himalayan rites. The challenging the brain is very easy with Wordle, reading blogs like yours, learning new craft skills.

The first 2 are harder for me. Diet and nutrition are not my strengths.

K and S said...

cool instrument!

Chet Colson said...

I agree with those tips. Also socializing, trying to remember names of people I meet. Traveling is good too. The brain is exposed to a different environment.

jalna said...

Phyllis!! I think anybody who can play the piano is superhuman, and at 99 that's unreal.

Aunty, I had to google 5 Himalayan rites. Now, that's interesting too!

Kat, I love that it sounds like playing a music box.

Chet, I should try socializing more. I suck at that a lot.

Chet Colson said...

You do socialize on your social media blog.

jalna said...

Chet, that counts??! Yay!

Kay said...

Sigh.... My brain is going to pot! Scary.