Sunday, February 6, 2022

Quick Cucumber Kim Chee


Here's another recipe from the DLS Cookbook!!  With just 5 ingredients, it's totally my kind of dish.

IMG_0149

I made just a half recipe this time.  It's not particularly spicy, more tsukemono than kim chee to me, but it is very tasty.  For sure I'll be making more.
IMG_0142 2

I think you can ignore "Cook Time: 4 hours on low". 
IMG_0155

I got the Momoya Kim Chee base at Times in the Asian section.  I've seen it at Palama Market in the refrigerated section.  It was kinda expensive . . . $7 something for a small bottle.
IMG_0197

10 comments:

K and S said...

:)

Honolulu Aunty said...

Was that a typo about cooking on low for 4 hours? Cooking anything on low for 4 hours would be weird. Maybe I will try this one. But first I gotta grow some cucumbers - after I prep the garden with Korean Natural Farming.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jalna, I'm gonna make this!
Bonny

jalna said...

Kat, ๐Ÿ˜†

Aunty, that would be so cool if you could grow cucumbers. I bought mine from Times and they were over $3 a pound! I suspect the typo was from using another recipe as a template.

Bonny, I already made another batch. First one got wiped out.

Honolulu Aunty said...

Jalna, Have you tried the "Cuties" from the Big Island that Costco sells in bags? Small cucumbers that are super ono. Kind of expensive but they are so good that you can just eat them the way they are or dip them in hummus, etc. LOL - sounds like I am so cultured to use hummus but I don't really. Just had them one time that way and if I do use the cucumbers, I cut them up for salads.

Anonymous said...

Looks good and I think I can handle 5 ingredients. But, I never heard of Momoya Kim Chee base.

Izsmom

jalna said...

Aunty, I've had the small cucumbers before, but not ones from Costco. Sounds perfect.

Izsmom, I added a picture for you. That brand of Kim Chee base is the key. It has a flavor that lingers that is subtle but so ono.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I will look for it at the market.

Izsmom

Susan said...

That kimchee base here is very popular. It's a party staple. Ppl add daigo with cucumbers here in that kimchee base.

jalna said...

Susan, I can see why!