Monday, November 30, 2020

Dd's Mushroom Soup


mushroom soup


MUSHROOM SOUP WITH SHERRY & THYME

Adapted from Fine Cooking issue #74 (Jalna’s Blog)


2 TB butter
1 TB olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 # fresh mushrooms, wiped clean, trimmed, and thinly sliced (button, oyster, cremini)

1/2 oz dried porcini mushrooms, rehydrated in *1 c boiling water, drained, chopped 

*reserved porcini liquid, strained
1 tsp. dried thyme
½-3/4 tsp salt to taste
1/2 tsp ground black pepper to taste
2 c chicken stock


2 TB milk
2 TB dry sherry

In a large stockpot over medium high heat; warm butter and oil. Sauté onions until they are browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, mushrooms, 
thyme, salt, pepper, and cook until mushrooms begin to wilt. Pour in broth and porcini liquid. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Remove soup from heat. Either using a blender or an immersion blender, purée half of soup to bring to desired consistency. At this point you can refrigerate for future service. 


For service; Warm soup over medium heat. Stir in milk and sherry; cook 5-6 minutes. 


Check for seasoning. Serves 2 entrees.

6 comments:

Kay said...

Oh wow! You are all amazing cooks! I know Dd makes the best seasoning. We'll be making your fruitcake again this December.

K and S said...

looks great!

Honolulu Aunty said...

I don't think I have any porcini - actually I don't know what that is. I just want to eat it and not make it.

jalna said...

Kay, Wendell has started gathering his ingredients for the fruitcake!

Kat, I agree.

Aunty, LOL. Me too . . . I just like eat.

Susan said...

I love anything mushroom!

jalna said...

Susan, me too!!!