Friday, November 27, 2020

Making Paint

My gum arabic arrived a few days ago! I could finally make paint with the powder that I found at the swap meet.  My plan was to use it as a binder instead of the humbug and animal-unfriendly nikawa that's normally used.  

IMG_5963

The first step is to put some powder onto a folded sheet of paper. Then you use a brush handle like a rolling pin to crush the powder.
IMG_5965

Next is to place the powder in a dish and add the gum arabic. You use your finger to mix.
IMG_5967

I wish I had more colors.  I only have three. 
IMG_5971

I discovered that using very light washes might be the best way to paint with these.
IMG_5986

I also suspect that the paint might work better on washi-type paper instead of in my sketchbook.  I do have some of those that I found on another swap meet expedition, so I'll be trying it out on those next.  Crossing fingers! 
IMG_5987

7 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

Nice! I will keep my eyes open if I see these at sales for you. So is it better than watercolor paints?

Anonymous said...

so pretty! I love those colors.
v

Anonymous said...

I like the flower!

Izsmom

K and S said...

looks like fun, hope you can find more colors.

jalna said...

Aunty, it's kinda hard to describe. It's different from watercolor and different from gouache. I think it's best painted in multiple layers so that the colors and luminescence combine in your brain. Miwa Hiduki does triangle patterns in between layers of paint in her artwork, and the final image is so beautiful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCFLUirwEBg

V, makes me wonder what the original owner painted with them.

Izsmom, thanks!

Kat, me too.

Kay said...

It's so nice to see you blogging again, Jalna.

jalna said...

Kay, nice to be back too! Thanks.