Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Yamagen


Yamagen is right next to the McCully Ross. It's been there for as long as I can remember, but it had been ages (dare I say 30 years?) since I last went there. 

I happened to be at Ross a little later than usual yesterday and noticed that Yamagen was open. So after quickly running through Ross's craft/art section I sneaked on over to get my lunch.
IMG_1165

I got the Ten Don ($7.00) to go. I liked that they put the sauce on the side so that the tempura would stay crispy until I got home. It was good.
IMG_1169

Here's the outdoor eating area. 
IMG_1166

IMG_1158

IMG_1159

IMG_1160

IMG_1161

IMG_1163

IMG_1164

8 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

They used to sell shave ice long time ago. The old man was kinda grouchy and you had to order the way the sign said, first by size and then what you wanted added in, and last the flavor. Was good shave ice and before Waiola got so popular. Never thought to eat there but now maybe I will try. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering if they were still around, used to go there often. Glad that they’re still in business. We used to go to Misuzu Restaurant about a block or two before Yamagen.

Izsmom

Anonymous said...

j: When mom was at Liberty House Waikiki a co-worker told her that her boyfriend owned that place so my mom and I went. He made a tendon very differently, they all were stood up and then he put the tempura sauce around the little tent of shrimp. It was soooo good but typical Japanese food it wasn't filling for me. I THINK he was from Japan he had an accent I think. I'm amazed he's still open after all these years...wonder if he and that gal are still together. -N

K and S said...

haven’t been there in ages! glad they are still in business.

Chet Colson said...

Boy, that potato salad sure looks good.

jalna said...

Aunty! I totally forgot about the shave ice!

Izsmom, I'm usually out and about way before their opening time so was glad I thought to go there when I did.

N, maybe you can go try again. But that parking! Only two stalls. Go shop at Ross first.

Kat, long time yah!

Chet, there was some tang in the potato salad that didn't quite appeal to me . . . but . . . I ate um all. LOL!

Susan said...

Prices look affordable!

jalna said...

Susan, I liked the prices too!