Friday, July 6, 2018

Adventures in Spearfishing - 3


Wendell's favorite place to go spearfishing was in the waters near the Aina Haina area. The prime area to catch the fish was in about 8 to 10 feet of nice, clear water which was, unfortunately, more than 200 yards from shore. 

The depth of the water for most of the way getting out there was only about 1 to 2 feet. You could actually walk to the spot, but it was just easier swimming it even though, depending on the tide, you might be barely skimming the surface of the floor.

IMG_9354

Peripheral vision through a diving mask is severely hampered (at least for me it is), and you can see only what's right in front of you until you move your head left or right and up or down.  

This is pretty much all I saw on our way out to the reef drop-off point and deeper water . . . just rocks, sand, seaweed. 
IMG_9345

That is until the day a tako suddenly appeared in my view and scared the bejeeezus outta me and caused me to scream and swallow about a gallon of gross seaweed/ocean water.

IMG_9349

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving this story and your drawings!

De

Anonymous said...

LOL! You are funny! I love the drawings!

Izsmom

K and S said...

🙀🙀

Chet Colson said...

Eh Jalna, you're a Renaissance woman. Multi-talented, you cook/bake, an artist, photographer,and you're into spearfishing; I'm impressed.

Honolulu Aunty said...

Hahaha! Don't know who I feel more sorry for - you or the octapus!

Mark Shelby said...

LOL!

Next do a Moray Eel coming at you from under his coral hiding place,with his mouth open with big teeth!

Yes that has happened to me at Haunama Bay. Yikes!

jalna said...

De, thank you!!

Thanks, Izsmom.

Kat, for real yah!!

Thanks Chet, but I wish I was master of at least one. LOL.

Aunty, he totally dug out after seeing me!

OMG, Mark!

Susan said...

I’d feel claustrophobic being that close to the ocean floor! Love the crazy hair! Mmmm tako sashimi!

Leslie's pics said...

hahhhaah i hope you guys caught it! :-)

jalna said...

Susan, LOL.

Les, nope, he ran away after I screamed.

Erick said...

Your artwork is so awesome. Story is more awesome.

jalna said...

Awwww thanks, Erick.