1,200 Special Olympics athletes competed this past Saturday at UH Manoa. I was able to attend for a few hours in the morning. Taking pictures for this event is always a heartwarming experience for me.
the volunteers, parents, and organizers are also the winners.
i once video taped a special olympics soccer training that the honolulu bulls (who most people hate) organized and sponsored. it was rather heartbreaking for me, but at the same time so uplifting - how each individual's spirit, once they move past their disabilities, can soar.
how frustrating it must be, to live in their limited bodies and minds. yet, they overcome, for moments at a time. their joy when a goal is scored, or told what a good job they did is priceless.
Aunty, your comment is so well written and point on. Looking through my viewfinder I wonder what the daily lives of the athletes and their families are like, and I do get choked up from time to time.
Chet, I'm glad that at least with my picture taking I can make a small contribution to this worthwhile cause.
I miss catering those events ... while we were far away from all the activities, from the get go, we took breaks so that each of us manning the food booth could at least see some of the events ! I especially enjoyed the "march" of all the athletes, led by our military INTO the field area. so awesome !!
kokuuma
-
you often see the word koku (rich) paired with the word uma (tasty)
whenever people are describing a savory foodthey'll say it is
"kokuuma"well, I needed e...
Downwinding 10-04-2026
-
Wind: Trades
Trades are light but looks good enough!
The road to riches!
pc: Braddah Eric
Energy on high!
Can!
A good run for me!
Brad...
Mixed Plate Friday (Vegas Edition)
-
Creamy Scrambled Eggs & Chicken Breakfast Sausage We had a morning flight
so we got served breakfast. For Hawaiian Airlines, there are entrees you
can get ...
AI Is Now Used to Scam People
-
I’m not back to blogging yet, but I thought this was something important I
should pass on.
An ad popped out the other day on my iPad that had Bill Gates,...
Latest family addition
-
My ceramic friend Rita gave me a young red footed tortoise/turtle that my
grandson named Max. We won’t know if Max is a boy or girl until he/she is
older....
Descanso Gardens, 4/2/24
-
Three out of four college roommates were able to get together. Our other
roommate, Mary, is from Mountain View and it would have been an eight hour
drive...
Delhi - Day 9
-
October 2, 2019
We had another full day in Delhi before we leave for Varanasi tomorrow.
Subie met us once again to take us on a mini tour around Delhi. ...
10 comments:
the volunteers, parents, and organizers are also the winners.
i once video taped a special olympics soccer training that the honolulu bulls (who most people hate) organized and sponsored. it was rather heartbreaking for me, but at the same time so uplifting - how each individual's spirit, once they move past their disabilities, can soar.
how frustrating it must be, to live in their limited bodies and minds. yet, they overcome, for moments at a time. their joy when a goal is scored, or told what a good job they did is priceless.
What a blessing to bless others, you are a blessing Jalna. We are so blessed ourselves.
Looks like it was a fun and rewarding day!
Izsmom
I always look forward to seeing your pics at this event. Glad you were able to go:)
Aunty, your comment is so well written and point on. Looking through my viewfinder I wonder what the daily lives of the athletes and their families are like, and I do get choked up from time to time.
Chet, I'm glad that at least with my picture taking I can make a small contribution to this worthwhile cause.
It totally was, Izsmom!
Me too, Kat!
Jalna, you are so good at capturing their
emotions!!!
so awesome yah! I swear they would probably beat me if I had to race them!!
I miss catering those events ... while we were far away from all the activities, from the get go, we took breaks so that each of us manning the food booth could at least see some of the events ! I especially enjoyed the "march" of all the athletes, led by our military INTO the field area. so awesome !!
Thank you, Celia!
Les, for sure they would beat ME.
Dd, I'll be doing another post showing the food for the volunteers. A lot of manpower is needed just for that. Castle and Cooke people handled it.
I can see the kids triumphs and their teacher's pride after each event, through your pictures. Nice!
Post a Comment