Thursday, April 18, 2013

Wendell's Chicken Hekka


I don't normally care for Chicken Hekka, but Wendell made this the other night and it was ono.  I liked how it tasted healthy and not fat laden like a lot of other foods that I eat.  He followed a Hawaiian Electric Company recipe.  You can find it here.

IMG_1241
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup mirin
2 tbs. salad oil
2 inch piece ginger root, grated
2 onions, sliced
1 can (14 oz.) bamboo shoots, drained
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch watercress, cut 
8 oz. package long rice, cut into 2 inch lengths

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that is Chicken?

waibu said...

Wowee, another ono meal!

Dd said...

yumm....love love the olden days recipes !! Grandpa used to put tofu.

jalna said...

Anon, Wendell said that he used chicken thighs. Wait . . . are you implying that it might be . . . rabbit? LOL!

It was good, Waibu.

Tofu sounds good, Didi.

Les said...

oooh that looks yummy...never ate chicken hekka in a long time!

Kay said...

Love this! It looks wonderful. By the way, I am posting about the Myer Lemon thing tomorrow.

jalna said...

Me too Les. I was surprised that Wendell made it.

Ohhh, looking forward Kay!

Nippon Nin said...

I love glass noodle, I'm going to make this soon. Yes! Tofu sounds good!

jalna said...

I loooove that noodle too, Akemi.