Saturday, February 12, 2011

Daikon Yatsumi-zuke

Wendell made miso soup last night and left this leftover daikon on the kitchen counter. This morning when I checked out Kat's Our Adventures in Japan blog she had posted a recipe for tsukemono where she used a 6-inch piece of daikon in it! What a coincidence yah!

IMG_1840

I peeled and sliced the daikon, sprinkled with Hawaiian salt and put it in my tsukemono press. I think you don't really have to press it, but since I have one I just used it.IMG_1847

After about an hour I drained out the liquid, rinsed the daikon, quartered the slices ('cause that's how Kat's was) and sprinkled with sesame seeds (supposed to be roasted). The recipe calls for Ajinomoto too, but we never really use it anymore.IMG_1887

Heat up 1/3 c. shoyu, 1/4 c. Japanese vinegar, 1/4 c. brown sugar and 1 chili pepper until sugar dissolves.IMG_1883

Pour over daikon.IMG_1890

Leave at room temperature for about 3 to 4 hours. Refrigerate after that.IMG_1905

It actually came out pretty potent, and I think it's because I used Yamasa shoyu which is kinda dark and strong. I really, really like it though. Thanks Kat!!IMG_1911

11 comments:

Leslie's pics said...

oooh looks yummy, and easy too!

jalna said...

So easy, Les.

mmiissee said...

I like daikon = ) looks very good.

Betty Townsend said...

Looks good! You don't use Aloha Shoyu, huh...

jalna said...

Me too mmiissee. This one gotta eat with plenny rice . . . came out real shoyu-y.

jalna said...

Betty, Wendell prefers Aloha. Me and Landon like Yamasa. Landon says that recipes are more geared toward Aloha-type usage though. I think I shoulda used Aloha for this recipe.

Mariko said...

That looks SOOOOO good. I wish I had a daikon in the fridge right now. And those cupcakes...
I guess I've already sinned in my heart. The diet I started today is over. :)

K and S said...

looks good!

jalna said...

Hey Mariko! I looooove your blog. Thanks for dropping by!

Thanks for sharing the recipe Kat!

Erick said...

Looks very ONO! Aloha is cheaper too.

jalna said...

Try make um Erick!