Thursday, February 17, 2011

Wendell's Lau Lau


Funny yeah . . . "Wendell's Lau Lau, betta den poi, betta den pig" . . . actually I should call it "Wendell's Huge Crockpot Lau Lau". He found the recipe at Hawaii Holiday Blog.

IMG_2158


Sprinkle 3/4 tbs. red Hawaiian sea salt onto cut up pork butt. I don't know how big the pork butt was and he's not home right now for me to ask. How about medium-sized pork butt?
IMG_1919


Add 1 tbs. liquid smoke.
IMG_1922


Rinse luau leaves and cut out the middle stem. Spray crockpot with Pam and then drape and line with the leaves. Place meat chunks.
IMG_1937


Skin and chop up 1 lb. salted butterfish. (Per my sister Leigh who found out the hard way, make sure you rinse off the salt.)
IMG_1943


Add on top of pork.
IMG_1944


Fold over leaves.
IMG_1949


Cook on low for at least 7 hours.
IMG_1951


As the leaves start to shrivel, add more leaves underneath the lau lau. You'll be using one 2 lb. bag of luau leaves total. When I added the leaves (Wendell left for a softball game) I basted the lau lau with some of the liquid 'cause it looked like it was getting dried out.
IMG_2140


Here it is all pau.
IMG_2143


It was some ono . . . very moist and with some shiru (broth)!! Betta den poi, betta den pig.
IMG_2161

26 comments:

Leslie's pics said...

Ho! That's some huge lau lau! I'm not a big fan of lau lau but that looks ono. Hey, what happened to your diet? hahahahaa

jalna said...

I'm not a big fan either, but this one was good. Diet? Oh yeah . . . I keep forgetting . . . Heeey . . . which reminds me . . . I seem to remember catching somebody with her hands in the cookie jar today . . . hah, Ms. Nutrisystems?

K and S said...

me too not a lau lau fan, but this looks delicious.

jalna said...

Kat, my family eats lau lau pretty regularly, and always gotta have kalua pig and cabbage, pipikaula and poi at the same time . . . always. Otherwise grandpa gets grumpy.

mmiissee said...

wow...looks sooo easy to make and ono.

jalna said...

You know what, mmiissee, I was so surprised too at how easy it looked to make.

Leslie's pics said...

hey! that's not nice! you get a lot of hits y'know! hahahahaaa!

jalna said...

Oh yeah . . . soooorry . . .

Randism said...

mmmmm ;-) dat lau lau looks ono! lau lau and poi and cold beer! ass why da buggas at safeway always stop me at the door; dey tink i trying fo steal someting unda my shirt but ass my stomach!!!!

susie said...

Wow looks sooo Ono Did you save any for me? Hahaha can also do with chicken, onions coconut milk and a can of condensed milk instead of pork and butter fish.

jalna said...

Ho Susie, that's so interesting, those ingredients! Sorry, but the lau lau pretty much got wiped out.

jalna said...

Rand, whatchu talking about? You so skinny.

bebedeer said...

where did you buy your luau leaves? we usually use spinach, but that wilts pretty fast.

jalna said...

Fawn, Wendell said he bought one bag from Foodland and one bag from Safeway. I said, "Hah?" He said he thought he needed only one bag, so he had to go out and get the other one when he found out he needed two. He said to tell you that the Safeway one was better . . . Kahuku brand.

Dd said...

Made this once with corned beef instead of pork, "palusami" I wish I wish I still had my crock pot

Betty Townsend said...

Wow...so ONO looking. Looking at that makes me homesick for home and some good Hawaiian food...

jalna said...

Didi, what happened to your crock pot?

I thought of you, Betty, and how you probably couldn't get the luau leaves to make this.

Dd said...

I left both of them in my old office (kitchen) ....along with a lot of other kitchen stuff...oh well...

Mariko said...

What? This doesn't qualify as "on the diet"?
Man. That's a tough diet.

This looks awesome. Too bad I got rid of my crock pot. Did you send this into Betty @staradvertiser? She's looking for crockpot recipes. I want to make this!
Think a dutch oven and Tahitian luau leaves might work too? (I got itchy throat once and I'm lame but I'm scared to make my own again.)

jalna said...

Hey I agree with you, Mariko. This should be diet food with all the leaves and stuff. I know what you mean about itchy throat. Makes me gun shy too. Betty@staradvertiser, huh? Hmmm . . . this IS a pretty unique crock pot recipe that Wendell found.

Randism said...

skinny?!? i neva no until now dat your dog is one seeing eye dog!!!!

jalna said...

Hahahaha!!

Dd said...

I am gonna make this in my rice cooker

jalna said...

Rice cooker!

Gregg Ushiroda said...

Where can I get fresh luau leaves. I called Wong's in Kaneohe, but they only sell 10 lbs or 17 lbs. Don't need that much. BTW, great blog. Gregg

jalna said...

Hi Gregg. Thanks for dropping by. Wendell said that pretty much all the supermarkets carry them, but usually Marukai is the cheapest.