Sunday, September 19, 2010

My New Umbrella Setup

I'd been wanting to get me one umbrella setup for a long time, so finally the other day I went to Kaimuki Camera and picked it up. I told the guy, I wanna try off-camera flash shooting with an umbrella and I don't wanna spend a whole lot of money on the gear cause I'm probably gonna suck at it.

So I got the dumahichi attachment for $35 and the umbrella for $22. Normally you would attach them to a light stand, but I chose to save myself about 50 bucks and just attach it to my tripod (cheap one btw). Anyway, I scheduled a shoot for this afternoon with coworker Stoja, so yesterday I thought I'd better practice.





























I got everything set up except my model wasn't quite ready.
IMG_6359

Come on Kona Boy, let's have some cooperation here.
IMG_6368

I get one shot.
IMG_6362

Lighting gear falls down.
IMG_6365

One nada shot.
IMG_6350

Gear fall down.
IMG_6367

Try again.
IMG_6364

I quit. Who needs that damn umbrella anyway.
IMG_6366

9 comments:

K and S said...

oh wella, I'm sure it will come in handy someday :) at least kona was patient with you.

Betty Townsend said...

ROTFL!! (rolling on the floor laughing). This is hilarious!!! So much for your new setup! hahahahaha!!! Poor Kona, he's probably thinking what is that crazy woman doing??? By the way, his chopped haircut looks good now. Looks like its all grown out now. :<)

:) josefina :) said...

sorry for LOL-ing, but must have been windy over there.....

Love the pics of Kona. Especially with his big tongue hanging out like he is just cruising...

jalna said...

I might still try and use it this afternoon. I have a plan for keeping the tripod steady. Wish me luck!

Betty, Kona was such a good boy, especially since he was kinda scared of the contraption. And yes, his hair is growing out nicely!

It was just a gentle breeze Jos! Well, I'm leaving soon for the shoot. Hope my idea for keeping the tripod from falling works cause it's gonna be sooooo embarassing if it keeps falling.

Les said...

It will come in handy on your next rainy day shoot...

jalna said...

Hey, good idea!!

Randism said...

won't some weights do? if u no mo da kine waits dey sell at sports autority, can use old musubi!

jalna said...

Rand, that's exactly what I did. I used my and Erick's bags as weights.

Erick said...

Kona looks so cute! Looks like the do is growing out. The umbrella would make a good parachute.