Friday, August 28, 2009

My Chair

I first walked through the doors of my working place on March 1, 1982. Landon was 7 months old and Wendell said that I had better get my butt back to work . . . so this is where my butt's been sitting all this time. Time has really just flown by. It happened so fast. I so can't believe how old I am already. Like the chair, I'm the relic. The girl who sits next to me wasn't even born when I first started. I typed on an IBM typewriter with carbon paper. There was no computer, no copy machine, no fax machine. We did only x-rays . . . no ultrasound, no mammogram, no CT, no MRI, no bone densitometry.

Nothing stays the same . . . life is like that . . . and you go with the flow. I've had it pretty easy here, doing pretty much what I like to do . . . typing. That's what I do, type reports . . . for 27 years now. I like typing reports. I could to it forever, even though my fingers have become stiff and a bit sore. I'm a "lead" now, though. I hate that with a passion. I hate "leading". I hate being responsible. And oh, how I hate the monthly meetings. I pretty much can't escape from that role though . . . I've tried . . . but I'm the senior here; I just gotta do it. So, I just go with the flow . . . and dream of retiring. It'll be soon. 27 years happened so quickly, another 4 is just around the corner.

12 comments:

Yosh808 said...

Eh! As long as I'm forced to be lead...you gotta be lead! And you cannot retire! I nevah give you permission!!! :)

Leslie's pics said...

so are you taking the chair with you when you retire? Or even when (or if) you get to start working from home? :)

RONW said...

yeah.

Erick said...

Are they going to let you keep the chair?

jalna said...

Yosh, I REALLY DETEST it. People probably don't realize how much. Imagine being forced to do something you hate . . . and having to do it everyday. That's why I put a third of my pay into my 401K, even while it's losing money. It seems to be my only salvation.

Les and Erick, you guys can have it if you like . . . one of a kind.

Ron, somehow I know that you understand.

RONW said...

my memoir is a hammer.

Betty Townsend said...

I can't image 27 years doing the same job, sitting in the same chair. You'd think they'd buy you a new chair after that many years. The next 4 years should just zoom by.

jalna said...

Ron, that's what I find so intriguing about you . . . the eloquent carpenter.

Betty, we've evolved so much at my working place that my "same job", although basically the same is yet very different. Also, I've tried different chairs, and after so many years I can probably have any chair that I want, but I always go back to this one. Looking forward to the "zooming"!!

i-Observer said...

Comfy looking chair!

jalna said...

i-Observer, like no other!

Kalin's Mommy said...

You should do an update on this blog, LOL!

jalna said...

Hahahahaha, Mich!!