Monday, January 15, 2024

Cleta's Pickled Garlic

Next time you buy the huge bag of USA garlic from Sam's you should try make this.  Cleta gave us a jar and it was gooood. 

IMG_6141 2


Here's Cleta's recipe:


Blanch garlic in boiling water for 2 minutes.  Put into ice water to stop the cooking.  


Boil 1/2 cup each of shoyu and water, 1/4 cup each of sugar and white vinegar* until sugar dissolves.  Let this cool completely then pour over the garlic to cover completely leaving about 1 inch of air space.  Put a piece of plastic over the top to seal off the air and cover.  


1 week later, pour all the sauce into a saucepan and bring to a boil for 1 – 2 minutes.  Cool completely then pour back into the jar of garlic.  This is to kill off any bacteria.  Wait about 2 weeks before eating.  

 

The garlic could be splotchy but it’s okay to eat.  It could have a bluish tinge but it’s okay to eat.  The blue is due to the extreme acidic condition and also because garlic contains blue pigments

 

* Can also use rice vinegar. 


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds delicious.

Izsmom

Honolulu Aunty said...

Ono and healthy! I like the garlic from Sam's Club. Bigger and cleaner. I use them to make black garlic - which reminds me - I need to eat more of it. Garlic is SO good for us!

K and S said...

sounds easy & ono

Susan said...

Mmm, I need to try this!

jalna said...

Izsmom, it's ono, mild, not harsh.

Aunty, I like their garlic too, especially 'cause it's USA.

Kat, easier than I thought would be.

Susan, me too!

Kay said...

I just saw a bag of this at Sam's and wondered what anybody would do with such a huge bag. This is quite intriguing.

jalna said...

Kay, you should try make. Landon really likes it. It's a lot milder than I expected.