Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Dd's Buta Nikujaga


The potatoes seem like an unusual addition, but I think it would be my favorite part of the dish.

buta nikujaga

BUTA NIKUJAGA

 

10 pc. snow peas, trimmed

Salted water as needed

1 TB canola oil

1 tsp. sesame oil

1 medium onion, wedges

2 cloves garlic, smashed

½ -inch knob fresh ginger, peeled, crushed

½ # sukiyaki-style thinly sliced pork

2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, stew cut


Seasoning:

2 c. dashi

¼ c. mirin

¼ c. soy sauce

2 TB sake

1 TB agave nectar

 

In a small saucepan over medium heat blanch snow peas 30-45 seconds.  Immediately place in iced water; set aside. 


In a medium saucepan over medium high heat saute onion, garlic and ginger in oils. Add pork stirring to coat well with oils. Cook until no longer pink. Add dashi to almost cover ingredients. Add potatoes. Bring to a boil. Skim any scum and foam from surface with a skimmer. Add remaining seasoning ingredients. Cover; allow to simmer, stirring occasionally until potatoes are cooked through; about 15-17 minutes depending on your preference.  For this dish, I prefer my potatoes a bit overcooked.  Allow to sit covered, 15-20 minutes.


For service: top with snow peas. Serves 3-4.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

this looks so ono! I tried making once but it didn't turn out tasty. I going try again with Dd's recipe!
v

K and S said...

mmm

Honolulu Aunty said...

Yum! Too much work for me but I would definitely order one!

Anonymous said...

That looks really delicious!

Izsmom

Chet Colson said...

I have to agree on the potatoes in the dish. Hey, as long as taste ono. Maybe, Dd could have made a potato salad to compliment the dish.

jalna said...

V, hope it comes out!

Kat, yah!

Aunty, LOL. Me too.

Izsmom, it does.

Chet, I wonder if it's like the potato side dish that Yummy's gives.

Dd said...

funny....Nikujaga is a Japanese Meat & Potato Stew ;-}

jalna said...

Dd, 😁