Friday, November 18, 2022

Chicken and Shrimp Lettuce Wrap


I wanted to make a lettuce wrap and found a recipe on The Food Charlatan site.  

It came out good, but to be honest, I'm not sure if I'll ever make it again.  It's kinda too humbug for a lazy cook like me.

IMG_2346

Wendell and Landon ate it like you're supposed to . . . . on lettuce.  I decided that I wanted it on rice.
IMG_2353

I had issues while cooking and needed to drain off excess liquid twice, first after frying the chicken and then again after adding in the sauce.  Maybe I shoulda turned up the heat and let the liquid reduce, but I lacked the patience.
IMG_2341

 

Ingredients


  • 1 pound chicken thighs, chopped into 1/4" to 1/2" inch pieces
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • black pepper

  • 1 cup minced shiitake mushrooms
  • 1 (8-oz) can minced water chestnuts
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
  • 4 stems chopped chopped onions

  • 1 cup minced shrimp


    For the sauce to go in chicken filling

    • 1/4 cup cold water
    • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
    • 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
    • 2 tablespoons mirin
    • 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
    • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    • 1 teaspoon cornstarch

    For the dipping sauce

    • 1/4 cup warm water
    • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
    • 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
    • 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
    •  2 teaspoons oyster sauce
    • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

      Instructions


      • Heat a wok. Once the pan is very hot, add 1 and 1/2 tablespoons neutral oil and 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil. Add the diced chicken and stir constantly until thoroughly cooked. Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, and black pepper to taste. Remove the chicken.
      • Keep the heat on medium high. Add another 1 tablespoon neutral oil and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. When hot, add in the mushrooms and water chestnuts. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add in 1 tablespoon garlic and 1 tablespoon ginger and saute for another 1 minute.
      • Add in the cooked chicken, shrimp and the prepared sauce. Lower the heat to medium and cook until the shrimp is cooked.
      • Add green onions.  Remove from heat.
      • Make the dipping sauce. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup warm water, 2 tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 4 teaspoons rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce, 2 teaspoons oyster sauce and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil. Whisk it together.

      7 comments:

      Anonymous said...

      Looks onolicious, but too many ingredients and too much work cutting the chicken. LOL I’m lazier than you. LOL


      Izsmom

      Honolulu Aunty said...

      I love lettuce wraps! But kinda hard to make and then my lettuce keeps breaking. I used to like the one at PF Chang. Yours looks even better!

      K and S said...

      looks delicious

      jalna said...

      Izsmom, yah, I prefer easier recipes.

      Aunty, this recipe is supposed to be a PF Chang copycat.

      Kat, thanks!

      Susan said...

      If I do stir fry or lotsa chopping I have to start prep really early since I cook for 6!!

      Chet Colson said...

      May have been humbug to make, but it sure looks delicious.

      jalna said...

      Susan, ho, that's double what I cook for.

      Chet, awww, thanks!