Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Sakana Grill

Wendell picked these up the other day from Sakana Grill.  I really, really liked the first dish.  It has shoyu pork, eggplant and tofu.  I'm wondering if I can make it myself.  We'll see.  

Just FYI, the place opens at 2:00 pm, but "the kitchen opens at 3:00", just in case your husband is already on his way there when you call at 2:00 to put in your order. 

Also, I'm not real sure if the prices below are current.  I looked them up online.  And I think because I didn't say "plate" these are ala carte items and didn't come with rice, which kinda worked out 'cause there was more to share.

Nasubi Chanpuru ($15).  ❤️  ❤️  ❤️
IMG_1760

Tonkatsu ($15).  This was just okay . . .  maybe a tad overcooked?
IMG_1764

We think this came with the Tonkatsu . . . not sure.
IMG_1765

Fried Saimin with Spam ($14).  Good; I liked the noodles, but it was a bit black-peppery.  I coulda done without it just fine. 
IMG_1766

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you posted a recipe for tofu eggplant once a while back. Looked really ono and was something I kept thinking I'd try to make. Still really thinking.
v

Anonymous said...

The nasubi champuru looks onolicious. The nasubi looked like it soaked up the flavors.


Izsmom

jalna said...

V, LOL. I liked that dish!

Izsmom, I know!! I keep wondering what's the secret to getting the nasubi to get soft and absorbent like that. I've been researching and maybe it's to salt the eggplant for an hour first. And maybe you just gotta cook it to death. Also, to get rid of bitterness you soak for a bit too. I bought all the ingredients already, but not real sure what my plan will be.

Honolulu Aunty said...

Kaimuki/Palolo Times has prepared eggplant that is soft and mushy. Sometimes I buy that and fry up some chicken or pork and then I add in the Times eggplant. Cheap and easy.

K and S said...

looks yummy! if you sauté the eggplant in a little oil before adding the sauce it will soak up the sauce better.

Susan said...

I wished they sold those noodles here. We make chicken katsu at home even though it’s a lot of work.

Kalin's Mommy said...

Those fried noodles look good! I've been searching for good fried noodles but haven't found a place yet. Going to try there, hopefully soon! Mich

jalna said...

Aunty, such a good idea!!

Susan, frying chicken totally is a lot of work to me.

Mich! They have a second location called Sakana Express in the Pearl Kai Shopping Center. It's an okazuya and is open from 9:00 to 1:30 if that's easier for you.

jalna said...

Kat, thanks for the tip! Will do!