Friday, September 24, 2021

Intermittent Fasting and Glucose Levels

I've been "trying" to do the 16/8 intermittent fast where you only eat during an 8-hour period.  I'm hoping that it'll not only help with my dieting but also help lower my glucose blood numbers.

My next doctor's visit and blood test is next month.

I found the following info from the Nutri|Sense site here.  

How intermittent fasting affects glucose levels

When it comes to IF and blood glucose, the results are so much more than just calories and weight loss. IF is a boon for numerous bodily systems. It lowers blood glucose. It increases our bodies’ sensitivity to insulin. It reduces inflammation. It makes our digestive and metabolic processes more adaptable, and it can even change when and how our bodies make blood sugar.

Lower insulin levels

While our body does produce some insulin throughout the day, the majority of insulin release happens when we eat. Counting meals and snacks, the typical adult eats six or seven times a day. This means our insulin levels spike six or seven times a day. IF, by reducing the frequency of eating and snacking, lessens our insulin spikes and reduces our body’s overall insulin levels.

Why is this good? Because, in addition to its role in regulating our blood sugar levels, insulin plays a part in cell growth, and both DNA and RNA synthesis. Dangerous increases in insulin levels not only impact our blood sugar, but can hinder cell growth and bodily regeneration.

Increased insulin sensitivity

IF’s increased insulin sensitivity goes hand-in-hand with reduced insulin levels. The more our insulin spikes, the more our body becomes accustomed to insulin (like needing more coffee in the morning the longer you drink it). So the next time we eat, our body needs to spike even more insulin to get the job done. 

Additionally, reductions in adiposity (the scientific term for losing body fat) increase our sensitivity to insulin. And wouldn’t you know? One of the benefits of IF is that the weight we lose tends to be fat. This reduces our “adiposity” and increases our insulin sensitivity. 

Even with no weight loss, with no reduction in our body fat, science suggests IF still increases our bodies’ sensitivity to insulin. The bodily changes triggered by IF tend to “reprogram” our metabolism. In this scenario, our bodies are like a computer on the fritz—turning it off and back on again usually fixes the problem. IF is like a power switch, resetting how our bodies respond to insulin. Increased insulin sensitivity means our bodies require less insulin to lower our blood glucose.

Lower inflammation

Our bodies become inflamed as a response to stressors. We often think of stressors as germs or viruses, but the process of metabolizing food is an energy-intensive process that puts oxidative stress on our bodies. Too much oxidative stress makes it difficult for our bodies to detoxify; it’s why so many products and supplements tout themselves as “antioxidants.”

IF, it turns out, is a kind of all-natural antioxidant. Because those who practice IF intentionally limit when they eat, they also, by extension, limit the oxidative stress of metabolism. Limiting this kind of stress is key; a number of diseases—Alzheimers, Parkinson’s, and, most pertinently, diabetes—are thought to arise from excess inflammation and oxidative stress. Lowering inflammation through IF can reduce our susceptibility to these diseases and lessen our symptoms if we already have them. 

8 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

I totally believe in intermittent fasting but I only do it once a week on Mondays. Doing it twice a week works just as well as people who fast for days at a time.

You could do a 20-24 hour fast kinda easily if you eat an early dinner and only drink tea or water the rest of the night, skip breakfast and lunch (though coffee is okay) and then have a nice light dinner. My favorite is cold rice (which becomes a resistant starch after refrigeration) reheated and then made into ochazuke with fish, vegetables, etc of my choice. After "starving" the whole day, it is SO delicious!

I also read somewhere that eating nuts such as almonds or brazil nuts (NOT peanuts or cashews) is allowed during a fast and it really takes away hunger pains.

Good luck and health! I was losing about a pound a week unintentionally and I was getting a bit weak so I cut back on fasting and just skip breakfast on Mondays and have a late lunch.

Anonymous said...

J, look forward to seeing your results. My doc calls me a managed diabetic and is pleased though I do eat bad foods.I just think I got lucky with my body handling bad food.I always eat what I want. So I 'm interested in your outcomes. I tried your Keto taco recipe except I made it unKeto and modified it. I made a really good Spanish rice then added that to the ground beef, without the cauliflower. It also stretched the taco topping. Then topped it with salsa, avocado,etc. and put it into half a taco shell. OMG it was sooo good.The taco filling was so delish. Can't wait to eat the leftovers. Thanks!!-N

Kay said...

Oh no... not you too?!? I have to test myself every morning. I'm trying to cut carbs as much as I can, but I need to exercise more.

K and S said...

interesting, hoping you can lower your numbers.

Chet Colson said...

Intermittent Fasting has so many health benefits. Sugar our bane, if were not conscientious of it. I try to eat sugar free products if its available.

jalna said...

Aunty, thanks for all your tips.

N, ho, your version sounds so good!!!

Kay, do you do the finger prick thing?

Kat, I thought it was interesting too. Been slowly learning more and more. YouTube videos are helpful.

Chet, I was never really into sugar-free sweeteners, but I recently tried Monkfruit. I think I like it. I put it in my broccoli salad instead of real sugar and I couldn't tell the difference.

Kay said...

Yes, I do it every morning and it works as a warning to me to watch my carbs or to move more.

jalna said...

Kay, I was wondering about getting something to help me monitor.