Friday, September 10, 2021

Barley Edamame Salad

I wanted to make use of the barley that I got from Whole Foods so I decided to make a version of Tysha's Edamame Rice but with barley instead of rice.

I soaked 2 cups of barley in water for about 3 hours and then boiled it for 1/2 hour.  I drained and added about 3/4 of a 16 oz. bag of shelled edamame . . . 
IMG_9013

and this jar of Nametake Mushrooms that I found (after searching and searching) at Foodland (it's by the tofu).
IMG_9011

Before eating I sprinkled on this furikake. 
IMG_9024

It has a nice texture with a nutty flavor, and unlike rice you can eat it straight outta the 'fridge.  Landon said that if it wasn't so carby he would "pound" it.  Yes, it turns out that although it's way more nutritious than rice, barley is "carby" and has 3 times more calories than rice.  I discovered this AFTER I made the salad.  EEK!!

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 9.43.30 AM

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! But looks like barley is way more nutritious than rice. I love barley.

Izsmom

jalna said...

Izsmom, me too, I love barley.

Honolulu Aunty said...

The nutrition content is amazing! Worth the calories, right?

Susan said...

I need to try cooking with barley!

K and S said...

barley has way more fiber which is good :)

jalna said...

Aunty, that's what I was thinking too!

Susan, yes! But it wasn't easy to find here.

Kat, I agree!

Kay said...

I wish we had a Whole Foods close by. I would love to get some edamame grown in the U.S.