Tuesday, March 15, 2016

OK Poultry


I did go searching for the poultry farm that produces the Waimana TKG eggs this past Saturday. After zigzagging all over half of Waimanalo looking for OK Poultry I finally found it. 

If you're a techie person (unlike me) and use a GPS, the address is 41-656 Kakaina Street.


IMG_1541

I totally loved the country-style store. The girl inside was super, super nice. She said that Waimana TKG has only been around since September.
IMG_1542

So cute.
IMG_1543

IMG_1544

IMG_1545

IMG_1547

IMG_1551

IMG_1552

IMG_1553

IMG_1555

The best best thing about my finding the store was that I got to meet Kuni and her son Justin. Kuni is originally from Yokohama and has lived here for 20 years. Me and Kuni totally clicked. I just loved her to death. We talked and talked and talked as choke customers came and went. Kuni said that the best way to eat these eggs is raw over hot rice with a bit of shoyu on top. 
IMG_1550-2

Here's Kuni's tray and my dozen. Supposedly they're B-grade, but they look like A to me. I can't tell the difference.
IMG_1549

At home Landon decided to bust out some leftover chop steak that he had made the night before and try it raw-egg Japanese-sukiyaki style. 

He took his first bite. Actually, it was more of a slurp.
I searched for his reaction and said, "Yes? Yes?"
His eyes got big. A smile spread across his face. He said, "HO DA UMAMI!!!"
Not really believing it, he tried another piece without dipping it into the egg. 
He said, "Nope, it's totally the egg!"

IMG_1589

For sure I'm going back for more eggs later. Hopefully I'll run into Kuni again.

If you do get to go to Waimanalo for yourself, let the girl know that you plan to eat it raw. She will give you eggs that are the freshest of the fresh.

15 comments:

Leslie's pics said...

hmmmm interesting! I wanna try now. I not gonna eat it like Landon but I know Randy would want to.

Honolulu Aunty said...

Kaneshiro - good Okinawan name. So, tastes ono that way? Never tried it. Hmmm. Something to do one of these days.

jalna said...

Les, I think you gotta try "like Landon" . . . at least one time.

Aunty, I did try hot sukiyaki dipped in raw egg in Japan a long time ago, and it was wonderful. I never dared to try it here, but I'm psyching myself out to try again soon with this egg.

Mark Shelby said...

This is so Kewl! Back in the 1980's my friend rented a house on a few acres to start a flower farm. But I do remember rows and rows of raised beds with ferns. He would go out back every morning and clip. Then take them to local markets and sell them to the store owners. Sometimes I would help him on the weekends when I was visiting. I love Waimanalo!

jalna said...

Neat story, Mark!

Mark Shelby said...

Well....I love all of your stories too my Auntie Jalna! ; )

mini tanks! ; )

You are like the best friend I never met! ; )

Keep going!

K and S said...

nice!

Susan said...

I'm not sure I can do raw, but more power to those who can!!

jalna said...

Awww . . . thanks, Mark.

Thanks Kat.

I'm thinking I gotta try, Susan. We'll see.

Anonymous said...

So where is it? Can you give some directions? Thanks

jalna said...

Anon, best would be to google map the address. Dunno how clear my directions would be for you, but here goes: Turn left at the street before Jack in the Box (Poalima Street), veer left onto Hihimanu Street. Turn right on Kakaina Street. The farm/store is on the left.

Kay said...

I used to like tamago meshi, but I'm leery of eating raw eggs these days. I also prefer eating my eggs half cooked over hot rice. I haven't had that in a long, long time. There's Petersen Farm in Wahiawa too, but I haven't tried their eggs either. Now I'm curious about Kaneshiro. I will tell Art about this.

jalna said...

Kay, Kuni said that she used to drive out to Petersen Farm, but now she gets her eggs from Kaneshiro. She usually eats them raw, so I'm pretty confident about their safety. I'm planning on trying it sukiyaki style soon . . . a big step for me.

Nippon Nin said...

I really love to visit this farm...maybe next year. Thanks for the info.

jalna said...

I hope you get to visit, Akemi.