Saturday, July 5, 2014

A Couple of Marukai Buys


Here are a couple of things that I bought from Marukai today.  

This 2-pound bag of 8-grain mix was on sale for $5.49.

IMG_5824

I made 1 cup of white rice the regular way and then added 1/4 cup of the mix and an additional 1/4 cup of water. 
IMG_5834

 I let it soak for 1/2 hour before cooking. IMG_5845

This narazuke was also on sale.  It was $3.99.  I got the last bag.  I lucked out because somebody had put it back in the wrong place, so it was kinda hidden.
IMG_5841

IMG_5844

It was neatly double bagged and looked like this right out of the bag.  
IMG_5849

This is what it looked like after I rinsed off the paste.  When I was younger I didn't care for narazuke. The taste is a bit strong.  Now I love it, but it's usually expensive, so I don't buy it too often.
IMG_5850

It was super crunchy and tasty and went well with my rice.  I also bought ingredients to make miso soup, but I'll show you that later. I'm kinda falling asleep at my computer right now.
IMG_5883


11 comments:

Dd said...

ooooo looks so good....especially THE RICE !!!!

Dd said...

BTW-Is the green bamboo rice ??

jalna said...

I think you're right, Didi! The ingredients are sprouted brown rice, hulless barley, rye berries, whole oats, red rice, purple/black barley, wild rice and bamboo rice.

Susan said...

At first I thought the narazuke was sea cucumber, lol...gasp...I better go pluck some out of the ocean and try to make it and then I read the label. Never heard of this, never heard of the rice too. Interesting...I want to eat less meat these days.

Anonymous said...

I got a raincheck

Anonymous said...

Which grains were better this one or the other one that was Ian individual packet?

jalna said...

Funny Susan! It DOES look like sea cucumber.

Great Anon!

They're similar, Anon, but I think I like this one better.

Anonymous said...

I leave you alone for a few years and when I come back you STILL talking about FUD. What's up wit DAT??

Supa pics of the rice, especially the last one. REALLY nice. What lens? Did you spend money on a new 100mm L series macro?? auwe!

aloha,
walt

jalna said...

Hey Walt!! How you been??! No, no new L macro, but it is a 100mm macro. I've had it for awhile. And it's perfect for taking pictures of FOOD . . . my favorite thing!

Nippon Nin said...

I have that in my pantry! I haven't made rice in a while so I forgot all about it. I think I'm having rice tonight...too bad I don't have the pickles.

jalna said...

You don't eat rice, Akemi? Unfortunately, I've been eating more since I started using the grains in them.