Saturday, July 30, 2011

Wendell's Pork with Black Bean Sauce


I'm gonna take a nap right after this.  Feel sleepy, but wanted to make sure I posted this recipe.  Wendell made this last night, and boy was it good.  I loved putting all that black bean sauce on my rice.  He adapted a recipe he found in Hawaii's Best Local Dishes by Jean Watanabe Hee.

I also wanna tell you what happened today.  Me and Wendell woke up early to take my car in to Toyota's Servco Auto Windward in Kaneohe. There is some kind of floor mat/accelerator recall thing that we needed to take care of.  One of our conversations during our two-hour wait involved a warning light that's been lit on my dashboard for the past week or so.  It's warning me that at least one of my tires is low on air.  I had asked Wendell to take care of it . . . because that's what husbands are for . . .  but he never got around to doing it.

Anyway, while we were having breakfast at Denny's, Wendell wondered aloud if the service guys were gonna take care of the air in the tires.  I said, "No way. Do you think that someone would take the initiative to do something extra? "  He said, "Definitely."  I said, "I doubt it."

So, when the car was done, I got into the car and right away looked at the dashboard.  Guess what . . . the warning light was off.  Someone took the initiative. 

IMG_5136

3 1/2 pounds pork butt, cubed
Flour for coating
Oil for browning

Black bean mixture:
2 tbs rinsed and mashed black beans
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs shoyu
2 tbs oyster sauce
1 tbs sugar

Broth mixture:
1 can chicken broth (12 oz)
1 c water
1 cube chicken bouillon

Dredge meat in flour lightly and brown in oil.  Add black bean mixture while browning. Add broth mixture and bring to boil.  Stir in 1/4 c cornstarch mixed with 1/4 c water to thicken.  Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.

7 comments:

Leslie's pics said...

oooh this looks yummy :) How come you went all the way to Kaneohe to get your mats changed? Were they they first available? I gotta get mines changed too...

KitTKat said...

ur soooooooo lucky U have a husband that cooks. AND cooks well!

jalna said...

Actually Les, I don't know why we had to go to Kaneohe. Wendell took care of everything. I was just grateful that I didn't have to go by myself.

I know Kathy, I'm so grateful for that too.

OkiHwn said...

Wow, nice looking dish!

Betty Townsend said...

Super YUM!! So easy too, yeah! So nice to have a husband that cooks and cooks well!! Wish I did, it would be nice to have a break once in awhile...well, I do...when I decide I'm not going to fix dinner...hahaha!! I'm so bad sometimes!!

jalna said...

For me Nate, it's more about the gravy on the rice than the meat.

It does look easy Betty. But still if I was the cook in the family, we'd be eating out all the time.

Erick said...

Looks so ono an easy too. Adding this my long Jalna must do recipe list.