Saturday, June 7, 2014

Wendell's Rafute Glazed Pork


Wendell made this Rafute for his softball team the other night. He made a similar version for our dinner the same night except he used pork butt for ours instead of pork belly.  Ours was super tasty, and I'm sure this one was too.

I took this photo while the pork was simmering.  My lens kept fogging up, but I was finally able to get this shot.







The recipe came from this cook book which we think belonged to Wendell's dad because got his notes on some of the recipes.  It was published in 1975.
IMG_5200

Recipe contributed by Yasuko Takamine

1 1/2 lb. pork belly
1/2 c. sake or whiskey
1/2 c. shoyu
1 inch ginger
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. mirin

Broil pork until skin is browned.  Cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.

Put sake, shoyu and ginger (crushed with knife) into a pot and bring to a rapid boil.  Add pork cubes with skin side down. Cover and simmer for 2 hours turning pork occasionally until evenly glazed with sauce.  Stir in sugar and mirin.  Continue cooking uncovered for 30 minutes until pork pieces are completely glazed and soft.

12 comments:

Dd said...

OMG...I picked this cookbook up 2xs at the swap meet and neva buy um ;o\

jalna said...

LOL. Wendell said it's hard to find the recipes in um because there's no table of contents or index.

Susan said...

That cookbook is like treasure! Any goat recipes in there? Hahahaha

Anonymous said...

J: look sooooo ono. I remember dat kine cookbooks like the Maui ones and my go to was (at that time) one of the few Chinese cookbooks. Mines was bust-up as yours. Thanks Da Wendall for sharing -N

jenny said...

omigosh...that looks so goood. i am drooling right now.

jalna said...

Funny, Susan. I had to go back and check. No, didn't have any goat recipes.

N, my favorite back in the day were the Hongwanji cookbooks. I think some of mine don't even have the covers on anymore.

Melt in your mouth pork fat, Jenny. Baaaaad.

:) josefina :) said...

that looks so ono!
my fave books are the hongwanji ones, too.

jalna said...

Do you have um all, Jos?

K and S said...

love rafute!

Erick said...

It is almost like buta kakuni. Looks ono!

mmiissee said...

I have the same cookbook and in good condition. I actually bought it from the Friends of the Library of Hawaii. They're having their annual book sale even later this month. There will be tons of cookbooks...I shouldn't go since I have uku-millions of cookbooks already hahaha....but it's hard to not go. There's always something that I have to buy hahaha.

jalna said...

I think it's similar, Erick.

Ooooh, Mmiissee, thanks for the info on the book sale!