Saturday, May 17, 2014

Aala Tofu


I went to Aala Tofu today.  When I got there, the delivery person was loading up his truck and seemed just about ready to leave.  I went inside the factory and saw Rodney, the guy that I had spoken to earlier on the phone, and his mom. I asked if they had any tofu left for sale.  They asked me how many I wanted.  I said, "Around six?"  They peered into their vat and said okay, they had enough.  I think I might've bought all that they had left.  They were $1.80 each.  So cheap, yah!

I brought my camera with me, but I kinda got the vibe that picture taking in the factory wouldn't have been a good idea, so I didn't.

The tofu blocks were still warm, so Rodney didn't close up the bags. He advised me to fill the bags with water as soon as I got home and to throw them into the 'fridge.

IMG_3979

I never had just-made tofu before, so before throwing them into the fridge, I sliced off a section of one of the blocks for me to try. I ate it plain with green onion and konbu shoyu.  It was gooooooood.  Now I gotta figure out how to do um like Nuuanu Okazuya with the shoyu/mirin sauce.   

IMG_3996


9 comments:

Kalin's Mommy said...

Oh wow, looks so good!

K and S said...

ooh yummy!

jalna said...

I have one block for you, Mich!

Even plain it was yummy, Kat.

Les said...

oooh you lucked out! looks good!

Anonymous said...

J: Ooh my mouth is watering. Nothing beats fresh. And dang it's so cheap, local tofu is like $3 something at the store so I buy the mainland House brand. Thank you so much for sharing!! -N

Anonymous said...

J: thinking about this jogged my memory - which by now you realize is kind hammajang. I remember my dad getting fresh tofu. Where Moilili Long's is (I think) and before that Pay N Save there was a small wooden cottage just before it. I think it's now that tiny little Japanese restaurant (if it's still there). Anyway obaachan there made fresh tofu and dad would grab one of our banged up pots and get it. Then he would knock on the door or small window and obaachan would open it up, he'd slide in the pot, and she'll slide it back out. He'll pay and we'll head back home to Kapahulu. I'm trying to remember my age but can't. I wasn't into tofu until maybe my 40's so don't think I ate it. He loved that tofu and would go lx a week for it. It was a regular old cottage so don't think it was a store or anything. ahhh those were the dayz -N

jalna said...

I did luck out, Les.

N, that wooden cottage is still there. That is such a neat memory you have. Wish I could go back in time and visit.

Nippon Nin said...

Looks delicious and the rectangle plate is really nice.

jalna said...

I like that plate too, Akemi. I think I got it at the swap meet.