Saturday, February 4, 2012

Wendell's Panko-Crusted Fishcake


Wendell adapted a recipe that he found here and made this some-ono fishcake last night.  I even liked eating the leftovers today even though the crunch was gone from the crust.

IMG_9224


1 pound fish paste
1 egg
1 tbs. oyster sauce
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp. ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/4 tsp. salt
2 stalks green onion, chopped
1/4 c. shredded carrots
1/4 c. cornstarch

1 to 1 1/2 c. panko

3 tbs. butter
3 tbs. olive oil

Hoisin Mayonnaise sauce:
1/3 c. mayonnaise
2 tbs. hoisin sauce

Combine first group of ingredients.  Form patties and coat with panko. Fry in butter/olive oil.   Serve with Hoisin Mayo sauce.

*The original recipe calls for cubed fish, but Wendell only used fish paste. He said that the paste was soft and the patties were not easy to form until he coated them in the panko. 

8 comments:

K and S said...

mmm!

jalna said...

yessss!

Kalin's Mommy said...

Looks good! I used to stick my chinese fish cake recipe in the fridge for a little, so it gets a little firmer and easier to handle.

Also thanks for coming tonight, wish you could have met my mom, she would have loved you!

Erick said...

Wow, that looks ono.

jalna said...

Awwww Michele, thanks. It was nice meeting your dad and seeing your family again, especially my favorite little munchkin. Thanks for the tip about putting the fishcake in the 'fridge. I'll tell Wendell.

Erick, when I took my first bite and realized it was fishcake, I got all excited.

Anonymous said...

I made this dish recently and its almost identical, but no cornstarch. I used both fishcake and cubes of fresh aku , it was ono. I also added minced water chestnuts.

For dressing I did a fresh chinese parsely, sour cream, garlic...dressing.

Betty Townsend said...

Yum!

jalna said...

Ditto what Betty said, Anon!!