Saturday, June 18, 2011

Giving Back to the Aina with Mano

I used to call Mano my "good friend" even when I barely knew him.  That's the kind of guy he is.  Something about him just makes you feel like you've known him forever.  That's how special he is.  So guess what Mano did to celebrate his birthday?   He had a Give Back to the Aina celebration today and invited his friends and family to meet him at a nature preserve deep in Kalihi Valley called  Ho'oulu 'Aina, for a morning dedicated to servicing the land.

Update from Mano:  Hey guys, every 3rd Saturday, everyone is welcomed to come and help weed, clean, pick up trash, harvest the fruits and veges on the land. 100 acres owned by the state that the community fought for and won over real estate developers. The community comes, takes ownership into the land, and everyone walks away afterwards with bags of freshly harvested produce and meeting cool people.

IMG_3122a

Ho'oulu 'Aina is located at the very end of Kalihi Street after this wooden bridge . . .
IMG_3162a

which spans over a part of Kalihi Stream.
IMG_3147a

IMG_3151a

IMG_3166a

Here's Mano.
Duo 2a

I was surprised to see my girlfriend's daughter Sharlynn and her husband Ryan. Sharlynn said that they help out at the preserve about every other month.  She and Ryan created HIHO (Hands in Helping Out) a nonprofit organization geared to helping people become volunteers.  Pretty awesome yah!
IMG_3108a

IMG_3006a

IMG_2997a

IMG_3028a

IMG_2976a

Duo 5a

IMG_2964a

IMG_2966a

IMG_2967a

IMG_2979a

Duo 4a

IMG_3008a

IMG_3002a

Duo 3a

IMG_3044a

Duo-1

IMG_3050a

IMG_3060a

IMG_3065a

IMG_3068a

IMG_3080a

IMG_3079a

IMG_3099a

IMG_3119a

IMG_3136a

21 comments:

mahea rey said...

Thanks Aunty! I'm going to link to your page to show people pictures from today. Thank you again & Happy Birthday Mano (nice meeting you)! -sharlynn

Leslie's pics said...

Wow, awesome!! happy birthday Mano!!

Mano said...

Much Much love Jalna! Your pictures always tell a great story. Thanks for sharing the experience with all of us!

Mano

Mano said...

Sharlynn, nice to meet you and run into Ryan again...

Thanks Leslie! We missed you out there!

jalna said...

Thanks Shar. It was pretty amazing running into you today and learning about what you and Ryan have been doing. Thanks for teaching me about Twitter. I'm gonna be sooo in the loop now! Hahaha.

I thought so too, Les.

Mano said...

Jalna, do you have Facebook? I just loaded it on my page for everyone =)

http://www.facebook.com/manonguyen

jalna said...

Thanks for inviting me Mano. It's pretty cool all the different experiences I've had on account of having met you. Thanks for always thinking of me.

Mano said...

that's how awesome Jalna is... she's thanking me when i'm the one who's thanking her... =)

jalna said...

Mano, no wonda I getting plenny hits! Hahahaha!! Thanks!

K and S said...

nice!

jalna said...

Good idea yah, Kat!

Erick said...

Very cool, so great you volunteer there. Happy Birthday Mano!!!

Betty Townsend said...

This is awesome, jalna...thanks for sharing the pictures...

jalna said...

Uhhh Erick, I'm not so dedicated. I only take pictures.

My pleasure Betty!

mahea rey said...

Hah, hah Aunty...now you're so in the loop! ;) If anything, you can link your blog from twitter & fb. Let me know if you need help navigating twitter. Thank you again.

Mano said...

Hey guys, every 3d Saturday, everyone is welcomed to come and help weed, clean, pick up trash, harvest the fruits and veges on the and. 100 acres owned by the state that the community fought for and won over real estate developers. The community comes, takes ownership into the land, and everyone walks away afterwards with bags of freshly harvested produce and meeting cool people. Thanks again Jalna, you is da bomb girl!

Mano

jalna said...

Thanks Mano! I'll include your comment in the body of my post.

Anonymous said...

How great is this!! Love it!

jalna said...

Pretty amazing yah, Anon!

Mariko said...

That is super cool. I really like that idea. Fun birthday!

jalna said...

I liked that idea too, Mariko.