Thursday, July 22, 2010

Our Mailman

I've been working at Y & M for the past 28 years, and for about 25 of those years our mailman was Paul. He was the best mailman, always so pleasant, taking the time to chat a bit as we exchanged mail and little tidbits of our lives. He was a single guy for the longest time, so when he announced one day long ago that he was getting married I was so happy for him. His new wife had a daughter from a previous marriage and Paul adored her. She grew up and eventually moved to the mainland, and even though Paul's marriage didn't last he made sure he still kept in touch with his stepdaughter. I think one of his proudest moments was when he got to give her away at her wedding. Paul retired a few years ago. He was to me still a bit too young to be retiring, but he said that he had put in enough years and now needed to take care of his mom. I was so sad.

In the years since he's been gone we've had a succession of different mailmen as well as the installation of a mail box thing downstairs on the first floor. The mailman now puts our mail into our designated locked box and we slip our outgoing mail into these slotted receptacles. It works out okay except on those days about once a week when we send out our boxful of billing. It won't fit. On those days, we would leave a little note asking the mailman to please come upstairs to the second floor to pick up our outgoing mail.

We got a new mailman today. He said that if we want him to come upstairs to pick up our mail we have to go online and request it the day before we want mail picked up. Can you believe that? So I went online and got to USPS. It said that I needed to create an account so I did. I then found my way to "Scheduled Pickups" where it said that I can schedule pickups for the next three months. Our heavy mailing days vary so I chose Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. It only allowed me to select days for the next two months (not three). But I figured that's okay. I just gotta request it every two months . . . better than daily.

So I made it past "Schedule Pickup" and was now into "Package Detail". It said "Package quantity is required" - I dunno . . . 200, 300? Then "Package weight is required" - I dunno . . . 1 ounce x 200, 300? Then "Pickups must contain at least one Overnight Guaranteed, 2-3 Day or International Package" - I got none of the above. So now what?

I miss Paul.


7/24/10 update: I talked to the mailman and told him that I tried to go online to schedule the pickups but wasn't successful. I also mentioned how it was a pain in the butt to do. He said he'll come upstairs to pick up and drop off our mail everyday. Nice yeah!!

I wanted to get him something for his kindness so I called Dale at Taro Ko to order some chips. Dale said, "I no more taro . . . maybe in September. I'll call you if I get." I said, "So what you doing?" He said, "Sweet potato." Unfortunately, the sweet potato chips are not as good as the taro chips. I hope he calls me soon. I wanna give the mailman about 5 bags . . . after all, he gotta deliver um too!

16 comments:

K and S said...

that's so sad! so impersonal now!

jalna said...

Kat, it really makes me sad.

Les said...

OHMYGAWWWWWWDDDDD....okay, I think that's about the tenth time I said that today. It must be an ohmygawwwwddd day.

So, how many mailmans do you think you guys went through since Paul left? 5? 6? So sad yah? Make sure you don't put the rubberband around all the mail. If I can remember correctly they no like that. hahahahahaaaa!

jalna said...

You so funny Les. Really was an OMG day yeah! And you're right rubberbands are a no no.

KitTKat said...

I would put the rubber ands just to piss them off! Hahahah! I'm evil that way....cute yeah?

Yosh808 said...

I say...if that's how he's gonna be...just overload all the outgoing mail bins in the entire building. I bet after a few times he'll change his tune!!! I'll help you! We go!

Randism said...

ha! if you wanna meet some really grumpy people, try go to the post office at da manoa shopping center; i know that's not an official post office but those guys and gals are so impersonal and unfriendly! if you go there, i hope your experience will be different but it just makes me sick that people act so bored and like you're bothering THEM by asking them to do their jobs! anyway, getting to your story, you really touched on something important; so much of life nowadays is soooooo impersonal; great post...

Betty Townsend said...

Postal people can make life so difficult...what a big hassle just to have mail picked up...its not like you do it every day. Well, I hope you got it figured out and your mailman doesn't hassle you.

jalna said...

Kathy, I just love your evil ways. I envy that.

Hahahah, Yosh, I know you would too!

Ohhhh, Rand, I just HATE that . . . when they act like they're doing YOU a favor.

Actually Betty, my work mail is not too many. I can easily slide them through the slots. I was just trying to help out our Billing Department. They're the ones with the plenty mail.

Randism said...

by da way, u remember back to the future? IF you're old enuf, you'd laugh at the scene where the gas station has workers who RUN to work on your car; it's funny cuz that's how it used to be. and for a cultural twist, if you get gas at a gas station in japan these days, as you pull in, they'll come out quickly, ask you what you need, give you what you need, and as you leave, they often step out by traffic to help you out AND as you pull away, they'll BOW! having lived there for almost ten years, believe me when i say that most u.s. businesses have no clue what service means...

jalna said...

I remember gas station attendants! Those were the days, although they weren't as attentive as your Japanese version.

Betty Townsend said...

That was a nice turn around for the mailman. Hope he appreciates the gift of taro chips. Is this not the time of year to harvesting taro?

jalna said...

Betty, I don't know how many other "extra" requests are being asked of the mailman, but he just wanted his superiors to know of them so that it would justify any extra time he might be spending doing his route. Communication is always a good thing, and I'm glad that he and I straightened things out. I didn't know that taro had a season, especially here in Hawaii.

:) josefina :) said...

I worked at Ala Moana Bldg for 16 yrs, and still got the same mailman (I think), George. He was the best! He remembered everyone's name and chatted (but was still very efficient and fast!). Nothing like the old school postal delivery.

What? no taro? Those chips were so goood!

Randism said...

maybe he read your blog and said to himself, "oh no! ass me! i betta be nice to her or she going have my okole!"

jalna said...

Hey Jos. I have a feeling this mailman will turn out okay. I also felt the same way about the "no more taro". Like, "Hah? No taro?"

Rand, that's exactly what Les said.