Saturday, July 24, 2010

Higashi Hongwanji Bon Dance 2010

Higashi Hongwanji's bon dances hold a very special meaning to me. Erick explains it best in the following e-mail that he sent out to a bunch of us earlier this week:

This weekend is a cute little bon dance at Higashi Hongwanji on N.Kuakini St. I remember this bon dance fondly because this is where I met Jalna and her buddy Susie. How can I forget this chance encounter. It was a dark, rainy night and this girl with her new Canon 40D muscled me out of my small one person rain shelter. She said something about she didn't want her camera to get wet. I got to know her while I stood in the rain with my camera in a plastic bag. Ha,ha, an image to remember forever!

7 comments:

Dd said...

OMG...what the heck was that shaved ice stuff....was that mochi squares ??

Les said...

ooooohhh...shave ice! hahahaa! nice pics!

jalna said...

Yup Didi, mochi squares . . . soooo ono. The shave ice was kinda expensive, but it is a fundraiser - shave ice was $3.50, added stuff 75 cents more, so azuki beans + $.75, mochi balls + $.75. My shave ice was $5.00, but it was so ono that me, Susie and Les went back again the next day just for the shave ice.

Thanks Les! I guess I gotta go to Shimazu Store if I like get some more.

Erick said...

Looks like you had a great time! Very cool clouds in the sky on the opening shot. Good emotion shots too. I bet you only came to eat the shave ice. And what a great guy to give up his shelter for you!

jalna said...

Thanks Erick. Second day was for shave ice only! And yes, YOU DA BOMB!

SW said...

Nice shots...did you have to use a flash? Cute Bon dance/star wars(?) attire. So if that's you and susie, who was holding your camera? Great fun shots!

jalna said...

Thanks Shun Wah. No, I didn't use my flash. And it was Erick who took the picture of me and Susie.