Sunday, August 30, 2026

Battery Generator

Wendell returned the new 8,000W broken battery generator to Costco and had been going back to Costco daily searching for an alternative.

He ended up getting two of these 3600W ones from Home Depot ($550 each).  It's kinda funny because they ended up being His and Hers, one for Wendell and one for me.  Landon already has one that he bought awhile back to use when camping. 

Wendell's plan is to get a gas generator to power up these electric ones if the outage lasts long.  These battery "generators" aren't really generators to me because they don't actually generate power.  They're like big rechargeable batteries.  After their power is drained, they need to be recharged again.

So, it looks like we're almost ready for the predicted impending storms and more possible outages.   

IMG_6798 2

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! Gotta go check it out. Praying the two storms will dissipate and veer far away from us like Moke did.

Izsmom

K and S said...

so interesting & good to know

Susan said...

Here on my island, we know too well about these outages and storms as we are watching one afar off again. Not only do we have outages from storms but outages due to power sources on island breaking down. More “power” to us all! 😂

Chet Colson said...

smart move.We were out of power for 2 days during Lala. Had to discard food..Fortunately, we had a propane burner & 7/11 😃

MELODY JACOB said...

I actually like the idea of having the two battery units as a backup, especially when you know storms and outages may be coming. I had the same thought about calling them generators though, because they are really just very large rechargeable batteries. The plan to use a gas generator to recharge them if the outage goes on for a long time makes much more sense, since it means you can run the noisy fuel generator for a while and then switch back to the quiet battery power indoors. Hopefully the storms pass without causing another long outage, but at least it looks like you are properly prepared this time.

jalna said...

Good to have just in case!

jalna said...

It's high tech too. You can download an app for it and monitor and control it from afar. I think.

jalna said...

Ahahaha. Since the recent storm we've been having off and on outages in my area.

jalna said...

Just like us . . . 2 days! Too bad about the food.

jalna said...

☺️

Honolulu Aunty said...

My neighbor didn't lose any power because she had KumuKit install a backup battery for her solar panels. So I called them - $17K for a Franklin battery! Yikes! Of course they tried to sell me more solar panels.
I think I am going to order a solar powered small generator so at least I can charge my computer and phone. However, if Spectrum goes out again, what is the use?
Hope those new storms don't hit us.

jalna said...

When we reroofed our house a few years ago we were also gonna have the company install a Tesla battery for our solar panels. We were also quoted $17K for the battery. In the midst of doing our roof, the company got bought out by someone else who didn't do the battery part. Or something like that. It was kinda strange.

Anonymous said...

Hah! my electricity was down only 4.5 hrs so I was so happy. But then I tried to turn my tv and computer on. Spectrum out 1 week!!!
v

jalna said...

V, one week!!

Kay said...

We bought the Delta 2 last year and I told Art we should get a back up for the back up Delta 3 since the Delta 2 lasted only about 8 hours. Power outages can now last longer. Sigh…