Sunday, December 31, 2023

Cleta's Vingha D'alhos

I love a vinegary pork and potato dish, and below is Cleta's version made with an authentic portagee-neighbor recipe.

Resized_Resized_20231227_172551


RECIPE FROM MY PORTUGUESE NEIGHBOR


VINGHA D’ALHOS SAUCE 

For PORK ~ BEEF ~ LAMB ~ CHICKEN


7 cloves garlic

1-1/2 Tbsp salt 1/2 Tbsp black pepper

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar 1/4 cup shoyu

5 cups water


Grind the garlic into the salt – why?  That’s what my Portuguese neighbor did.

Put a little oil in a pot and brown your meat item.

Add in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.  When it boils, lower the heat to a medium-low, cover and cook.  When your meat item is almost done, add in 5 large potatoes and cook until done.  If the liquid gets too low, add more water.  If it tastes too bland, then add more vinegar and shoyu to taste.

My neighbor said, “Not too salty, not too vinegary but juuust riiight!”


When the meat and potatoes are cooked through, remove to a pan that can be put under the broiler.  Brush some oil over everything and place under broiler to brown.


For the gravy, add 1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup to the remaining liquid. Bring to a boil and thicken with flour and water. 


Memories…..

She also used to make a wonderful Watercress and cucumber salad to go with this dish.  I wish I knew how to make the dressing but then again, I don’t eat watercress anymore…..   

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks onolicious!

Izsmom

Honolulu Aunty said...

Oh - that looks so good! Kinda easy. Home grown shishito peppers? Cleta is da best!

K and S said...

looks ono!

Anonymous said...

I've never used cream of mushroom soup with vingha
dalhos. The recipes I've used were on the dry side, but always delicious. Li

jalna said...

Izsmom, it does yah. Maybe it's that extra step at the end where you put under the broiler.

Aunty, she's such a good gardener. I had a shishito plant that produced a few peppers before it died. 🤪

Kat, ❤️

Li, unusual yah. But interesting.

Anonymous said...

this looks easy enough for me to try. and Yah, whodathunk to broil for even more appeal and flavor!
I have a shishito pepper plant. I like to fry them with those sardines and the fun part is some are soooooo spicy, but which one??? LOL
v

jalna said...

V, LOL. My plant grew from a seed really easily and fast. But then as is usual with all of my plants, it stopped flourishing and died. It's just a dried up stick in a pot right now.

Anonymous said...

I made this yesterday using the recipe and enjoyed it! Thank you! Ryan

jalna said...

Ryan!! That's so awesome!