Thursday, October 12, 2017

Black Gesso


Inspiration for my first acrylic painting came from My Flower Journal and can be found here

I thought that a black background would be neat so I researched online on how I could do it.
IMG_7613

I used this black Liquitex Gesso. It's pretty awesome. It goes on smoothly and spreads easily. It needs to dry for 24 hours before painting on it.
IMG_7616

I didn't know that acrylic paint hardens onto the palette. Surprise! It took some soaking and scrubbing, and I was able to get the palette somewhat clean.

I'm thinking of using a styrofoam take out container next time instead. Then I can throw it away and not have to worry about cleaning up. 
IMG_7614

7 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

You are going bravely into a new frontier. Super different from watercolor painting. Super.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Love the contrast between the black background and the colors of the flowers.

Izsmom

Leslie's pics said...

oooh i like it!

Susan said...

The black is a nice background for a lot of things. I used to cover all my bulletin boards in my classroom with black. It makes everything I put over it "pop". I accidently bought acrylic paints for school instead of water color and yup, I couldn't wash it off the pallete : ( I love your first acrylic painting!!

K and S said...

so pretty and I like the idea of using styrofoam to throw away after!

Kay said...

You are so so awesome, Jalna!

jalna said...

Aunty, you're so right . . . it is SUPER different from watercolor.

Me too, Izsmom!

Thanks Les.

Hahahaha, Susan . . . what a surprise when it doesn't wash off, yah! I like your bulletin board idea.

Thanks Kat.

Awwww, not so, Kay.