Tuesday, October 17, 2017

About Birgit Kerr


I have been relentlessly scouring the internet lately for painting ideas, looking for inspiration in attempts to hone my "skill". And that's how I found the blog Birgit's Daily Bytes

Birgit's "About Me" section totally resonates with me. Her words are my thoughts exactly. And I'm pretty sure that it could hold true with you too.

Here's what she says:


AN UNINTENTIONAL ARTIST.

I never really set out to be an artist. Mostly, because I was convinced that I just didn’t have the “talent” to be a “real” artist. In my mind, ”real” artists go to art school, they have amazing talent, practically out of the cradle, they have a keen eye for proportions, only to be enhanced by crazy cool skills they just sort of acquire through the years. 


And me, well, as far as I was concerned, I didn’t really have any of that. Sure, I was creative in many areas, but “real” artists paint and draw, and I couldn’t do that. I know, my definition of an artist was quite ridiculous, really! 


But, you see, “I have proof,” said my mind, whenever I picked up a pencil or a brush and tried to translate something from my mind or eye to the paper. “You might really want to do this, but clearly you don’t have what it takes!” Whatever I had produced looked like something a 3-year-old had drawn and nothing like what was in my mind’s eye or what an “artist” would draw/paint!


And of course it would, because without practice, you very rarely acquire skills. Unfortunately, when it comes to art, we tend to compare ourselves to the pieces that inspire us, the art of masters, not to the artists on the level we’re really at.

And comparison is indeed the thief of joy at the best of times, but particularly when we become our own worst art critics by making absolutely unfair comparisons.


So, for many years, even while making my living as a digital scrapbook designer (which is essentially being an artist,) I would stay away from actual paint. Sadly. Because, really, it was calling me! I just didn’t have the courage to open myself up to that calling. 


Until one day I did! I gave myself permission to just play!


The colors, the paints, the mess, the stamps and gesso and crayons - they were all calling my name. And instead of expecting a master piece, I just started to play. And I was hooked!

So, I painted, and glued, and layered, and smeared, and dripped and stamped, and sketched like never before. I got gloriously messy. I explored the material. And while I was having all that fun, I learnt. And practiced. And acquired skills.


And everything changed and shifted and eventually this whole new world opened up for me and is still opening up as I walk this path!


And through art and within art, I have found ways to communicate, to inspire, to save  and  to heal. I have found courage, as well as vulnerability, amazing possibilities and connections and maybe most of all - joy and gratitude!


And I’m so happy that I get to share it all with you!

7 comments:

K and S said...

loving what you are doing these days! keep it up.

Leslie's pics said...

holy crap she's good! Did you see the portrait she drew of her dad?? http://birgitkerr.blogspot.com/2014/04/around-here-lately.html I think she's lying. She always had the talent. I swear i could practice for years and my drawing wouldn't look like that!!

jalna said...

Thanks Kat!

I DID see it, Les! I think you do have hidden talent . . . I love your stick drawings!

Kay said...

Oh my! She certainly is talented.

jalna said...

Isn't she, Kay!

Susan said...

I saw her art, she's really good!

jalna said...

I agree, Susan!