Friday, June 1, 2012

Beef Jerkey Experiment - Part 2 (Black Pepper Jerkey)

I stopped off at Foodland a couple of days ago after work.  The London broil was on sale so I got it, along with some liquid smoke.

 I decided to try out the recipe from a YouTube video I found online here.
IMG_6623

I had to really cut down the proportions and ended up using 1 c. shoyu, 1/4 c. brown sugar and 2 tbs. liquid smoke.  I marinated the meat overnight.
IMG_6657

In the meantime I figured I might as well grind some pepper ahead of time. This pepper mill was taking me forever, so I thought that maybe if I cleaned it up a bit it would work better.  Looks like I would need a Phillips screwdriver.
IMG_6644

I looked high and low in the toolroom . . . the whole time thinking . . . Philips screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver . . . my kingdom for a Phillips screwdriver.
IMG_6647

I finally found the right drawer.
IMG_6649

IMG_6655

As soon as I got home from work yesterday, I put the meat in the dehydrator and sprinkled on the pepper.
IMG_6662

It took 6 hours.  It came out good . . . chewy.  But, I think I have to cut down the liquid smoke to 1 tablespoon instead of 2.  Not sure . . . we'll see what people say.
IMG_6676

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy, did you freeze it to slice it again ? also how thin did you cut the meat ?

just a note, dont give much jerky to the dog, it doesnt digest very well and may make your dog very sick. I was giving my dog jerky and it eventually led to a major operation that fixed his intestines. It was over a period of time though but still its not good for the doggie :)

happy jerkying :)

if you loose electricty any time soon you will have enough rations to last you awhile !

Dd said...

shoots...totally meant to tell you ..Glenn says to add crushed red pepper flakes...

K and S said...

looks good from here :)

Betty Townsend said...

Looking good!!

jalna said...

OMG thanks Anon! I was just gonna make a batch just for Kona, without any spicy seasoning. In fact, I have the meat in the freezer right now. Good thing I read this first. I did freeze it for a couple hours and then sliced it as thin as I could get it, so maybe about 1/4 inch or less.

Didi, I'll add the flakes to my next batch.

Thanks Kat!

Thanks Betty!

Kalin's Mommy said...

It was delicious! I finished the last three pieces today at work! Thanks Jalna!

Erick said...

That looks really ono! How did you make that piece look like a horse?

jalna said...

You're welcome Mich!

Hahahaha, it DOES look like a horse Erick. Funny.