Saturday, September 15, 2018

Memories of Hiram Lane - 1


Wendell and I were talking the other day about all the flooding that's been happening with the heavy rains, and he mentioned that long ago the houses were built higher so that the plumbing pipes could go under the house instead of underground like how they are now. 

I remembered our house on Hiram Lane in Liliha. It was built so high that I could play underneath it.
IMG_9913

Then I remembered the time that I heard a strange noise coming from outside of the house just after I had taken a bath. I was about 7 years old.

I lowered the lid of the toilet and stood on it so that I could see outside of the window.

I looked and looked, but it was evening and so dark that I couldn't see anything.
IMG_9907

Then, all of a sudden the top of a head appeared right in front of me. 
IMG_9908

Then the face of Jason T., our neighbor appeared. I screamed. Then he screamed. Then his face was gone. And I heard a thud.
IMG_9909

I don't remember seeing him again after that. Maybe he would dig whenever he saw me.  

We moved to Palolo shortly thereafter.  I don't know whatever became of Jason T., but once in awhile I think about that time long ago.

16 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

So funny and cute! And scary!

Anonymous said...

j: yeow, peeping Tom...buggah knew that was the bathroom. Bachi him he got the bejesus scared outta him. hahaha I had a playmate when I was about 7/8 and mom caught him sitting under the bathroom window when I was bathing. Hooo mom was so upset at him, I was not allowed to play w/ him again -N

Mark Shelby said...

Yes dat was da old Hawaiian Kine Style. I remember most of them being in Wahiawa. No chance of flooding up deah! I think it was all about how to build a cheap house and even easier to send the plumbing and electricity into Da house!

Most of those old style homes were built for the Plantation workers.

There were actually all kinds of Plantation workers homes built back den. But they have all been torn down now. I saw them when I was a little kid.

Remember when Foster Village was built out. And the curved curbs? I thought that was a really Kewl Idea! Plus no more houses built on stilts. Now cement foundations. I think that was the end of the house built on stilt era. 1960's Foster Village.

K and S said...

what a fun story, made me smile!

jalna said...

Aunty, it is kinda scary yah!

N, so bachi for him. I wonder if he got hurt.

Mark, your memory never ceases to amaze me.

Kat, makes me laugh when I think about it.

Anonymous said...

Too funny your story! Bachi ga ataru for Jason T.!


Izsmom

Susan said...

I woulda screamed and ran at just seeing the top of the head. Our old house when we came on island also was built above the ground but the bottom was covered, had to open a little gate to go under. I'm claustrophobic so going under anywhere dark and closed in gives me the heebie jeebies : )

Chet Colson said...

funny story......hope he wasn't a peeping tom?? Yah, I remember my grandma's house, we would under the house.

Kay said...

So he was a peeping Jason. Good grief! I'll bet he was so embarrassed.

Mark Shelby said...

I wanted to share this video with you all. I am so sick of these mainland Corporations Destroying our island Home and Legacy!
.
https://youtu.be/uhqdyzdp_2U

jalna said...

Izsmom, LOL, so bachi!

Susan, our house in Palolo had a door to the underhouse area. I'm not sure if I'm claustrophobic, but when I did an MRI, having to stay still for about an hour gave me the sweats.

Kay, I hope the experience stopped him from doing it again.

Mark, thanks for sharing. Gonna check it out later.

Anonymous said...

your drawings are great!...even got the screen effect! I think you should make a "Life of Jalna" book with all your art and stories!

on the darker side...sure hope that nipped Jason in the bud because you hear that serial rapists start out by being peeping toms. Hoping that this was just young curiosity since he was only 7 years old. I also am glad that he was Jason T not Jason N because I know a Jason N about your age who lived in Palolo :)
v

Anonymous said...

oh, lolo me. I thought this was in Palolo, not Liliha!

jalna said...

LOL, V! I know what you mean . . . funny story, but there is also a dark side to it.

Leslie's pics said...

aieyaaah! he was a perv!!

jalna said...

LOL, Les.