Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Cleta's Bread Pudding


Cleta brought bread pudding for everybody in drawing class the other day. And it was still warm! Howzdat, yah! It was so ono and custardy . . . yummmm.  Thanks Cleta!!

IMG_9301

Here's the recipe: 

OAHU COUNTRY CLUB BREAD PUDDING


1-1/4 pounds dinner rolls (preferred) or day-old white bread
1/4 cup raisins, optional
9 large eggs
2-1/4 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 tablespoon vanilla extract
7 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 10-by-12-inch aluminum pan with cooking oil spray.

Slice dinner rolls or break bread into pieces. Place in pan. Sprinkle with raisins, if using, and set aside.

Beat eggs and add sugar, salt and vanilla; whisk until fluffy.

Add milk and cream; mix well, then strain (this mixture is called guss). Pour evenly over bread in pan. Make sure bread absorbs most of the guss.

Spray sheet of foil with cooking oil spray. Cover pan loosely with foil.

Place pan into larger pan to create water bath. Place pans in oven. Add warm water to outer pan, about halfway up the sides. Bake 90 minutes.

Check pudding for doneness. Top should be firm, but center might be a little jiggly. It will set as it cools. Serve warm. Serves 12.


The assignment of the day was to do a person's nose and mouth. Here's my drawing of Erick . . . with much improvement thanks to teacher Vernon. 

IMG_9311

6 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

Thanks to Cleta and you for the recipe! Surprised that there is no butter. Their bread pudding is very good - served with a yummy sauce.

Glad that I am not in drawing class. I couldn't do it. I would abstract or tiny detail too much and not get anything done.

jalna said...

Aunty, it was so yummy!! Wish you were in class with us.

K and S said...

your face drawings are so good!

jalna said...

Awww thanks Kat. I struggled with Erick's teeth. When I took the photo for reference, I told Erick not to smile 'cause I didn't want to do his teeth, but did he listen? No, he never listens to me.

Susan said...

Lol, Erick is twins with my hubby, the “not listening” part of him. 😀they served bread pudding in the cafeteria in elementary school all the time and that turned me off because all I can remember is mushy bread. I’ve had some good bread pudding as an adult though, when I decide to try.

jalna said...

Susan, we have triplets because Wendell ignores me too.