Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pickled Mango


When I went to CQ's house to take pictures of her family she gave me some green mangoes to make pickled mango. I think this is only the second time I've ever made pickled mango.



I sprinkled 2 tablespoons of Hawaiian salt on the cut up mangoes. You're suppose to let it stand overnight. I let it stand overnight and the next day 'cause I had to go to work.


You boil 3 c. water, 2 c. brown sugar, 1 1/2 c. white vinger until sugar is dissolved. This is half of what the recipe calls for 'cause I didn't have that many mangoes. Let it cool.

Rinse and drain the mangoes.

Put in a jar with li hing mui. If any of you guys from work notice that the package of li hing mui is missing from on top of the microwave, it was me. I stole it.

Pour the liquid into the jar and let it set for 2 to 3 days. Today is the 2nd day and I just tasted it. It's good, but I should've cut off more of the peel. It's kinda hard on the outside. I used a potato peeler to cut off the skin 'cause I was afraid I would hurt myself using a knife on the slippery skin. Some of you know what a danger I am in the kitchen.

I got the recipe from my sister Didi's first cookbook.

6 comments:

K and S said...

drooling over these pics...looks so ono!

Erick said...

And you told me you can't make anything. That looks so ONO!

Betty Townsend said...

Oh my goodness, I can't even remember how long it has been since I've had pickled mango. The mangos we get here are from Mexico or South America. They are not grown here. One of the things I miss about growing up was sitting up in the Hayden mango tree at my grandmother's eating green mangos. We'd have a bowl of shoyu and black pepper mixed up and eat the mangos until we got sick. Of course the ripe ones were so ONO!! That mango tree and my grandmother's house was torn down and there is an apartment building there now on Palani Street in Kapahulu! So sad! :((

Leslie's pics said...

hmmmm, so you're the thief,huh? hahahah, jus kiddin...hey looks good! I'm glad you took the mangoes cause I was waaay too lazy to peel um and cut them up! :)

jalna said...

Kat, they are pretty good considering I made them. Erick, I AM a sucky cook. Betty, what memories!!! With me it was spending summer days in the neighbor's lychee tree. Good fun! Les, I took the seedless li hing mui . . . still got the ones with seeds. I think they're from some gift basket we got for Christmas, so small-kine old.

Dd said...

OMG...someone still has green mangoes !!! Jalna, next time, if you have time, coz takes 2 hours..you gotta make the "Shredded Mango" in Dd's Table Talk II OR "Glenn's Favorite Shoyu Mango" WINNAHS