Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Scarab Beetle

Marvin came running into the office exclaiming that there was this huge, gross bug outside. Sure enough, this scarab beetle was struggling to get out of a small pool of water. CQ rescued it and we decided to let it loose amongst some plants.

It was beautiful with a metallic-like sheen to its body. To the ancient Egyptians, this common beetle symbolized hope and the restoration of life . . .
and I think it came into my life at this time . . .
to remind me . . .
to never give up hope.

8 comments:

Erick said...

Nice bug! Nice bug shots too!

Leslie's pics said...

uh, that's kinda gross...nice pics though!

ShunWah said...

wow..so very nice and sharp. The color in the photo came out so natural looking. I think I wouldn't be able to take one shot w/o shaking esp. when the bug moved..eeeek!!

Yosh808 said...

I am glad it gave you inspiration to never give up hope. I am, however, still freaking out that something that big can fly!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!! GAAAAHHHHH!

jalna said...

Marvin, I was gonna mention that after CQ grabbed the beetle, you were never seen from again . . . but decided not to.

Betty Townsend said...

Oh, I don't like bugs. There's some big ones here in Alabama. Love the pictures though!!

Yosh808 said...

Haha...I am man enough to admit that when you and CQ tried to grab it, I ran down the hall flailing my hands in the air... :)

Honolulu Aunty said...

AAAAAGGGGHHHHH! The first time I saw this bug I thought it was special too but come to find out it is SO destructive! I saw it demolish a nice ripe pirie mango on my neighbor's tree and I see it on our mango flowers and sometimes on papaya trees.

I suspect that it was eating holes in our kale that I hardly pick and they are very hard to get rid of. Lays eggs in loose soil or compost and you have to sift through and kill those gross grubs before they transform.

Bad bug, bad bug!

I gotta do a post about them soon.