Saturday, September 5, 2026

Pumpkin with Dried Shrimp


Wendell came home the other day with a bag of cut-up kabocha from Costco.  A dish from waaaay back in the day that my mom used to make came to my mind.  It included dried shrimp which is a bit unusual, so I was surprised when I found several recipes online.  I chose the one from What to Cook Today site, mostly because it was the first one. 

It came out wetter than my mom's but ono enough that Wendell said that maybe he'll make it for his team!  Also, my mom's didn't include any meat, but I added ground pork so that it would turn into a main rather than just a side dish.  And I bumped up the amounts stated in the recipe just a skosh 'cause it felt right to do that. 

IMG_6844 

The pumpkin came in a two-bag pack for $9.99.  I used about three-fourths because I couldn't fit it all in the pan. 
  IMG_6831 

This is the humongous dried shrimp that I used.  Wendell's friend gave the bag to him awhile back.  I thought he said that it was from Vegas, but not sure now.  Maybe it was from the Big Island.
  IMG_6851


750 grams pumpkin, cubed

2 Tbsp dried shrimp, soaked 10 minutes

1 tsp grated ginger

1 Tbsp cooking oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup chicken broth

*ground or thinly sliced meat* if desired


Seasonings:

1 Tbsp sambal oelek (optional)

1 Tbsp oyster sauce 

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp sugar


Garnish:

Crispy fried shallots


Instructions:


Peel and cut pumpkin into cubes.  Soak dried shrimp in warm water for about 10 minutes or until softened.


Preheat 1 Tbsp of oil over medium heat.  Add garlic and ginger and stir fry for about 10 seconds.  Add the dried shrimp and stir fry for about 1 minute.  *You can add ground or thinly sliced meat here.*  Add the pumpkin followed by seasonings and continue to stir fry to combine everything.  Add chicken broth and cover with a lid to let it simmer for about 5 minutes or until pumpkins are softened but not mushy.  Adjust seasonings to your taste.


Sprinkle with some fried shallots.

No comments: