Friday, September 1, 2023

Dd's Tomatillo Salsa Verde


I had to google "tomatillo", and this is what I found:  Tomatillos are sometimes called Mexican green tomatoes and they belong to the same family as tomatoes. Tomatillos taste a little more like lemon, apples and herbs than green tomatoes, but they’re still very similar.

And then, Italian parsley and cilantro also seem like the same thing to me, but I guess they're not.  At any rate, this looks good, especially the "seared" and "charred" part.

tomatillo salsa verde


TOMATILLO SALSA VERDE

 

6 medium tomatillos, husks removed

1 jalapeno pepper, halved

½ small red onion, coarsely chopped

3 cloves garlic

½ c. cilantro leaves and stems

¼ c. Italian parsley leaves and stems

1 TB fresh lime juice

salt to taste

 

In a skillet over medium high heat place tomatillos and jalapeno halves. Sear on one side, then flip over and sear on the other side. Remove from heat until charred to your desired likeness. 


Place in blender with remaining ingredients. Pulse until finely chopped and mixed to desired consistency.

Season with salt to taste. Makes approximately 1 ½ cup.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

so ono! fortunately, one of my co-workers makes this for us and it's sooooo good!
v

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love salsa verde!


Izsmom

Honolulu Aunty said...

Oooooh. I love salsa but this one is beyond my pantry.

Susan said...

I think I’ll love this!

K and S said...

sounds delicious!

Chet Colson said...

Looking at the ingredients, it looks healthy. Maybe, can use low sodium salt.

jalna said...

V, ho da lucky!

Izsmom, me too.

Aunty, LOL, I can relate.

Susan, I hope you get to make it!

Kat, it does.

Chet, I wonder if even need salt.