Monday, February 27, 2023

Stuffed Zucchini Pizza

We had some not-so-fresh zucchini in the 'fridge so I decided to try make some stuffed zucchini using ingredients that we had on hand. 

I kinda burnt the cheese, but still was ono.  Landon asked if I intended for it to taste like zucchini pizza, and I said yes even though I actually didn't know what I had intended. 

IMG_3433 2


Ingredients


  • 4 medium zucchini
  • Olive oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Dried oregano
  • 10 ounce Portuguese sausage, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tomato, diced
  •         14 oz. bottle of pizza sauce (I used 2/3 of the bottle)
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (+ more for topping)
  • 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese (for topping)
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs


Instructions


  1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
  2. Cut off the stem ends of the zucchini. Cut them each in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides with a spoon. Place on a baking sheet and brush each with a bit of olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper and dried oregano.
  3. Fry the sausage and drain any excess fat. Add the garlic and cook for a bit.  Add the diced tomato, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pizza sauce, parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. Heat until reduced and not runny. 
  4. Scoop the sausage filling into the zucchini boats. Top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.  
  5. Bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown.  I went for an additional 5 minutes and that's when the cheese got burnt.

8 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

Good cooking! Great way to use zucchini!

Anonymous said...

That looks good and healthy.


Izsmom

K and S said...

sounds ono and a good way to use up the zucchini

jalna said...

Aunty, thanks!

Izsmom, it was pretty easy to do too.

Kat, I still have the scooped out part in the freezer now. Maybe I gotta bake a cake.

Susan said...

You’ve become a great cook!

jalna said...

Thanks Susan. I'm trying.

Anonymous said...

your cousin Gary used to have zucchini growing in his yard oin bay area years ago. They were so huge, I mean looked almost like long squash. I going ask if he still has!
v

jalna said...

V, ho!