Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Lumpia


Can you believe I made this?  And it wasn't too hard.  But da oil splattah.  I don't like da splattah.  

It was a hit!  Landon ended up taking the leftovers to work to share.  I was so proud.  The recipe is from the Allrecipes site.

IMG_3208 2

I used this wrapper.  It's found in the freezer section.
IMG_3199

I used this instead of the called-for cabbage.  I only noticed the "wash before use" now in this photo.  Oops!
IMG_3211

Here's the filling cooling off.  Good thing Landon came by a little later while I was rolling the wrappers 'cause he said that I was making um too bambucha.  Sure enough, even though I then lessened the amount to 1 1/2 spoonfuls instead of 2, I ended up with 22 lumpia instead of the supposed-to-be amount of 30.
IMG_3198

This recipe and others say to moisten with water to seal.  They lie.  It doesn't seal.  
IMG_3200

Pal Cleta said to lay the rolls seam side down and fry them that way too.  That totally worked.  Thanks Cleta!
 IMG_3201  

My portion changed ethnicity from Filipino to Vietnamese. 
 IMG_3209


Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

  • 1 pound ground pork

  • ½ cup chopped onion

  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed

  • ½ cup minced carrots

  • ½ cup chopped green onions

  • ½ cup thinly sliced green cabbage

  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (Optional)

  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder

  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce

  • 30 lumpia wrappers

  • 2 cups vegetable oil for frying, or as needed

    Directions

    1. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add pork; cook and stir until crumbly and no pink is showing, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove pork from the pan and set aside. Drain grease from the pan, leaving just a thin coating.

    2. Add onion and garlic to the pan; cook and stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cooked pork, carrots, green onions, cabbage, and cilantro. Season with pepper, salt, garlic powder, and soy sauce. Remove from the heat, and set aside until cool enough to handle, about 5 minutes.

    3. Assemble lumpia: Place 3 heaping tablespoons of filling diagonally near one corner of a lumpia wrapper, leaving a 1 1/2 inch space at both ends. Fold the side along the length of the filling over the filling, tuck in both ends, and roll neatly and tightly to close. Moisten the other side of the wrapper with water to seal the edge. Transfer to a plate and cover with plastic wrap to retain moisture. Repeat to assemble remaining lumpia.

    4. Heat 1/2 inch vegetable oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes.

    5. Slide 3 to 4 lumpia into the hot oil, making sure the seams are facing down. Fry, turning occasionally, until all sides are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat to fry remaining lumpia. Serve immediately.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! When I was younger I would try all kinds of recipes, bake fry, etc. Now that I am in my 6th decade, I like simple recipes that don’t require a lot of ingredients or too many steps and I don’t like deep frying because like you da splattah! Too much to clean up! LOL

Izsmom

Anonymous said...

Impressive! I hate frying because of the splatter too!
v

Jody said...

I seem to remember my mom used to mix cornstarch and water to seal the lumpia wrappers (same brand). Water alone isn't going to work very well and egg wash would be too gummy.

jenny said...

Wowowow I give you so much credit! Hard work but looks like it was well worth the effort! Landon liking it and taking it to work speaks volumes!!!

K and S said...

I’ve heard you can make flour/cornstarch water mixture to seal, these look ono!

Honolulu Aunty said...

I LOVE lumpia! I buy the frozen ones from Times or Costco and use my Fry Daddy to cook them. Super easy but uses a lot of oil - Crisco is the absolute best and getting so expensive! But I use the same oil several times until I coat with cornstarch or flour and then gets too much stuff inside.

I wonder if you can use a those air fryers to cook them.

jalna said...

Izsmom, I've always been a cook of necessity only. I feel bad if the guys go hungry, 😆

V, so much easier to buy.

Jody, thanks!

Jenny, I admire you for all the dishes that you make!

Kat, I going try next time! Thanks.

Aunty, I heard that nowadays air fryers are the way to go. I wonder . . .

Susan said...

This post made me make a bag of lumpia 😄. I eat them for snack when I’m hungry !