Thursday, January 23, 2020

Pioneer Saloon


Wendell picked up dinner for us from Pioneer Saloon a few days ago. I can't believe that it was 10 years ago that I first blogged about the place. You can check it out here if you like.

We ordered four plates and ate them family style. Here they are in order of ono-ness (according to me). Somehow, we ended up with all seafood. The guys said that next time they're getting some MEAT. Me? I'm sticking with the BUTTERFISH. So gooood.

Miso Butterfish ($14)
IMG_3403

Deep-fried Baby Tako with Spicy Mayo ($11).  50 cents extra for mixed grain and bean rice.
IMG_3399

Salmon Katsu ($10).  50 cents extra for shiso/wakame/seaweed rice.
IMG_3398

Creamy Scallop ($13)
IMG_3402

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

everything looks so ono! I checked locations\prices. Monsarrat is cheaper!
v

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I’m getting hungry looking at the pics! They all look onolicious.

Izsmom

K and S said...

everything looks ono!

Honolulu Aunty said...

Looks so ono! Prices went up quite a bit but that is how it has to be. In the morning before they open at 11:00 I see a line of people waiting - most of them Japanese tourists. Glad they are doing well! Lot of the workers went to Kalani High School and are classmates with my kids.

Anonymous said...

j: nevah heard of dis place, wow looks so good and the prices are reasonable. -N

Anonymous said...

i went today to pick up lunch. got the pork/hamburger with demi glace sauce and shogayaki that I was ono for. Didn't care for the pasta salad. So many things I want to try now that I got the shogayaki out of the way.
NO Parking!!! I called in my order and when I got there, the place was packed, mostly with Japan tourist, but it was about noon. Thanks for reminding me about this place!
v

Chet Colson said...

Whoa.... that looks so winnas. I like the variation on the starch.Gota put this place on my bucket list.

gigi-hawaii said...

Looks great! I like the idea of eating family style.

Kalin's Mommy said...

Looks Yummy!

jalna said...

Izmom, thanks. I had to hurry and take the pictures 'cause "people" were hungry.

Kat, I can't believe how extensive their menu is.

Aunty, ahhhh, the Japanese tourist! No wonder the success for all these years.

N, we hardly go because of the limited parking, but glad Wendell didn't mind picking up the food.

V, I forgot to mention about the parking. Me too, coulda done without the pasta salad.

Chet, hope you get to try them soon.

Gigi, the three of us totally demolished the four dishes!

Mich, da butterfish and da tako!

Kay said...

Oh wow! That looks so super yummy! I love miso yaki butterfish. I went to Bravos today. Was pretty good.

Leslie's pics said...

uuuuuuuuuu butterfish......my fave!